Correct tire pressure

MINI-MATIC

Im in the process of restoreing my EEL WHEEL, locate in "my pictures".My question,what would be a good tire pressure for my wheels.The rims are 6 inch,one piece tubeless construction.The tires are old,in great shape,Good Year 13x5.00x6 2 ply terra-tire tubeless,these are turf tread tires from the early 70's with diamonds on the side walls..There is no indication on the amount of pressure these tires take.Im guessing in the 30 to 40 lbs range.Any help would be apprecated.On another note,I have an interesting nightmare story on the restoration of these wheels.To properly restore them,I had to locate a place that could remove the tires and reinstall them after I restored the rims.I located a lawn mower shop that could do it.After they were removed,I glass beaded the rims,primed,then painted to a better then new finish.I then yesterday,took them back to the IDIOT,why do I say IDIOT,well the person that kind of had an additude on what is and isnt a correct restoration just happened to carelessly drop one of my finished rims on a cement floor and of course it bent the rim edge which I had to restraighten out.The IDIOT'S excuse was that the rim was slipperly,I almost went through the roof!!,needless to say,I left the place with the tires installed by these hacks!! with no charge.Just a word to the wise,be extra carefull who you let work on restorations,this small group of people dont have any insite on what these bikes mean to us and how much effort we put into them.:hack::hack::scooter::smile:

Sorry to hear about what the ID 10 T did to the wheel you worked so hard on.
Most tubeless tires like on a garden tractor run at 10-15 psi. I would probably start at 10psi, sit on the bike and see how they look, then adjust from there. 30-40psi sounds like too much but it depends on the tire and how much weight is on them. On some split rims 40psi would spread the wheel halfs and possibly ruin it.

Last edited:
Yeah 30-40 sounds way to high and dangerous , my 13x500-6 "m-trax" 2 ply tubles tires say 20LBs max so start around 15-17lbs and feel them and leave some cush. :thumbsup:

MINI-MATIC

Thanks for all info on the tire pressure,I have them at about 20LBS now.I've had to air them up a few times being that the area around the beads were leaking,no thanks to that idiot!.The last time I put air in them,a while ago today,I bounced them on the grounda few times,not the rims LOL.They seem to be holding up now,no leaks useing armorall around the rim edge to check for leaks.Any other tricks to getting these to seal good.A note,there was no rust or pitting on the rim bead area and the tire beads were in good shape.I've heard of some of those tire sealants on the market as being bad.There is one though called STS Tire Sealant thats sounds like it would work good.Any input on this would be greatly appreciated:smile::smile:

My DB rear tire always loses air in 3 weeks and I've tried sealant and other things. Best thing to do is put tubes in them. :thumbsup: If you can deflate and get the bead to move, it's easy to slip a tube in there and be done with it for good.:smile: I hate tubless.:thumbdown:

I had one place put tires on and the scratched my rims but another place did my harder to do 4" tire/rims and didn't even scratch the fresh paint and where cheaper! So find another place. :thumbsup:

That's a bummer about the moron. I had a similar problem in the past, and I tried to get the tire off myself for what seemed like two hours. Finally I broke down and went to harbor freight and bought one of the bench mount tire changers for 40 bucks. I hate chinese tools but my back was against the wall. Turns out it worked great, had the tire off in less than 20 seconds.No damage to the tire, or rim. No kidding. This was also a 4 inch one piece wheel. It's a pretty simple design, and when I get a chance I plan on making my own and using the cheapo for a basic blueprint. I have probably changed 50 tires on that thing so far, it has saved me years of frustration. Plus I don't have to rely on some clown that doesn't know the difference between a Simplex Magnesium wheel and a wheelbarrow tire.

That's a bummer about the moron. I had a similar problem in the past, and I tried to get the tire off myself for what seemed like two hours. Finally I broke down and went to harbor freight and bought one of the bench mount tire changers for 40 bucks. I hate chinese tools but my back was against the wall. Turns out it worked great, had the tire off in less than 20 seconds.No damage to the tire, or rim. No kidding. This was also a 4 inch one piece wheel. It's a pretty simple design, and when I get a chance I plan on making my own and using the cheapo for a basic blueprint. I have probably changed 50 tires on that thing so far, it has saved me years of frustration. Plus I don't have to rely on some clown that doesn't know the difference between a Simplex Magnesium wheel and a wheelbarrow tire.
I thought about getting one of those but wasn't sure if they worked.:doah: Does it need a floor mount?

Thanks for the info on the tire changer Mark.Kyle,heres some pics for ya!!kind of bad,I suck at pictures,recoil cover looks much better then picture :smile::smile:

Last edited:
Kyle,did you notice the small TAS motor in the one picture.This is for the next Little Petro,when I can find one!!.Look at your Petro Brochure,this is the engine on the bike in the Brochure.Notice the 2 piece muffler I made out of billet steel.Just waiting for a frame so I can make the header pipe that welds to it.Im sending 2 more pictures showing the muffler,also another pic of the Eel Wheel decal on the front.

Last edited:
GTO,The tires are Good Year ,marked 13x5.00x6 Terra-Tire Tubeless then the word Traction.They also have small diamond <> shapes about 2 inches apart going around the top of the sidewalls on each side.At this time Im happy to say the tires havent lost any air.Maybe they will be good to go!!:smile::smile:

george3

(13x5.00x6) 13" tall 5" wide? Its kind of stupid that there is no tire pressure on alot of these tires. and the ones that do are are always different. even that they are two ply. still can be a different tire pressure. just did some old go kart wheels, and was listed 30 max I used 25psi. You should of did the wheels your self its not that hard with tire tools. I do It with one tire tool. There is just a trick to remove them. To put them back on, I use a welcome rubber mat, like at the front door of your house. lightly grease the edge of the tire, slides rite on. A little more around the edges to seal the air. still beter with a tube, and no grease.

I thought about getting one of those but wasn't sure if they worked.:doah: Does it need a floor mount?
Yeah, that was one of the reasons it took me so long to get one, I was surprised at how well it worked. You can either mount it in a vice, or there is a bracket that can bolt to your benchtop or a floor mounted stand (like a grinder.) I use the current one in my vice, but the one I build will be a floor mount one.

air psi

steve your photos are very good, compaird to mine,the only tire sealer i use
eny more is called green slime, i get at tractor supply, also auto zone
sells it,it works for me in cars and front end loader with realy big tires,
but i think for your mini i would wont inner tubes, good luck.:scooter:

steve your photos are very good, compaird to mine,the only tire sealer i use
eny more is called green slime, i get at tractor supply, also auto zone
sells it,it works for me in cars and front end loader with realy big tires,
but i think for your mini i would wont inner tubes, good luck.:scooter:
Thats what I used on my atv(2 tires)and that was 2yrs ago and still holding...:thumbsup:

They also sell it at walmart.