Cost effective / Good idea to build GX200 from scratch?

I'm thinking for the future on my Rupp that a GX200 would probably be the best setup. Its already got a GC160 which runs fine for now but I don't think it will hold up to much use with the aluminum bore. I been watching craigslist but not seeing any good deals. I noticed that they sell bare blocks on ebay for reasonable. If you were going to already plan on doing a mild upgrade on a 160/200 would that be a good option? I've only done a little bit of reading but looks like I'd want a ported head, valves, a mild cam, billet rod, billet flywheel, billet piston, stock forged crank etc. Would have no use for most stock parts and any of the accessories like air filter housing, tank, etc so I figure that could be $$ savings.

Not trying to do anything crazy, just a decent boost in power and reliability/durability at higher RPMs

trinik7597

The ones you see on eBay if you notice say fits or replaces a gx200 block they are clone blocks not genuine Honda ... The crank side cover And head are going to cost you some $$ nrracing sells s genuine Honda block or you can find a used gx on cl ... If it turns out that you find a good new block I have a good crank , side cover and 14 or 18cc Honda head I could bundle together for ya ..

Dang I guess I missed the not being genuine honda blocks. I'm Def after the real deal. I've found a few gx160s for just around 100 or more used but I feel like I should go for the 200 for the sake of torque. I found better deals on 9hp ands 13hp engines but I think the size is probably not a great compromise. Is there anyone that sells bare hondas? I thought I saw something about some build kits being sold.

So far I found one place that claims to sell bare Honda blocks and it was like 120. I think short blocks were like around 200 but that pretty much defeats the purpose. I found a go kart buggy with a 200 on craigslist for 350. I thought I could probably swap my GC onto there or a cheap used predator and resell. Problem is I don't know how the go kart market is and could be sitting on it for awhile.

Last edited:
You have to be real careful shopping for honda parts and it being a clone, sellers like to leave that fact out. They do however like to paste honda tags all over the auction. I personally have no problem with a clone if I know thats what it is up front.

trinik7597

Nrracing has genuine Honda blocks . search cl for pressure washer , Honda power washer , Honda gx and horizontal shaft engine one will pop up