Craftsman 5HP Motor = Tecumseh? PICS INSIDE, please identify!!

ADRO

Interested in finding more out about this motor. I need an air filter and eventually a rebuild even though it runs strong right now, smokes a little. It's in my sears roper btw.

The guy at my local lawnmower/scooter repair shop insists(OVER THE PHONE, HAS NOT SEEN MOTOR) that its a Tecumseh engine even though it says craftsman. SO what is it?

i could be wrong, (please correct me if i am) but i believe tecumseh made the engines for craftsman to put on there tillers/snow blowers ect...

Some tec. Intakeaniflds bolt up to the 5hp Briggs block with minor or no modification so that could be it. But it could also be a tec. With a Briggs shroud and recoil. I know a lot of their parts tend to be similar but I'm not so sure about the recoil. Post a picture of more of the block.

Right now my vote is a 5hp Briggs with a tec carb. Not as uncommon as you might think.

ADRO

Some tec. Intakeaniflds bolt up to the 5hp Briggs block with minor or no modification so that could be it. But it could also be a tec. With a Briggs shroud and recoil. I know a lot of their parts tend to be similar but I'm not so sure about the recoil. Post a picture of more of the block.

Right now my vote is a 5hp Briggs with a tec carb. Not as uncommon as you might think.
What do I need to take pictures of exactly? Of the other side of the motor? More of the carb?

Looks like a 5hp Briggs with a Tecumseh lawnmower intake and carb to me. A 5hp briggs is nearly the same height as a HM100 Tecumseh. I can't see the shrouds interchanging on any of them. Craftsman is a sales brand name, so they never really manufacture anything.

Last edited:

jrzmac

I think Briggs started making engines for Craftsman after Tecumseh started having financial problems! see if you can find a serial number on the shroud some place! gotta be one on there somewhere?

yes usually a craftsman engine is a tecumseh. But that one is a briggs. that carb would also normally be found on a tecumseh. but since its got the craftsman air filter i question if it might have been a special order by craftsman to work with a piece of machinery without room for a tank :shrug: the numbers should be on the shroud nexto the carb

ADRO

Looks like a 5hp Briggs with a Tecumseh lawnmower intake and carb to me. A 5hp briggs is nearly the same height as a HM100 Tecumseh. I can't see the shrouds interchanging on any of them. Craftsman is a sales brand name, so they never really manufacture anything.
Yes, I think you are right, I found where it says it's a Briggs. The carb feels loose to me...so maybe it's off another motor.

I think Briggs started making engines for Craftsman after Tecumseh started having financial problems! see if you can find a serial number on the shroud some place! gotta be one on there somewhere?
I had too much trouble trying to read the serial number but I took this pic, right next to serial number:

yes usually a craftsman engine is a tecumseh. But that one is a briggs. that carb would also normally be found on a tecumseh. but since its got the craftsman air filter i question if it might have been a special order by craftsman to work with a piece of machinery without room for a tank :shrug: the numbers should be on the shroud nexto the carb
Where is the craftsman air filter?? I thought I needed a cone filter one to put on the black plastic piece off the carb!?

I need to look and find the SN...

jrzmac

ADRO

yeah that is a Tecumseh primer bulb carb. it does take one of those cone type of air filters. the black plastic piece is the back of it. here's the link for it. Air Filter Housing 35797 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com . if you need it, this is the cover piece Outdoor Distributors - Lawn Mower Parts . but I cant find the exact filter. I think this might be the one but not 100% sure??? 19-2784 - Tec 35066 Air Filter | Small Engine Parts | MFG Supply
Man, I think youre right on the money. That black plastic housing is the exact one I have on the motor. I went to lowes tonight in search of Briggs filters and found one that looked just like the second link...but I'm pretty sure the one at lowes was generic?

jrzmac

ADRO

Yes! Thanks for the links man, I needed an adapter to run off the carb that looks perfect! I'll have to pull of the black plastic one that's currently installed and measure holes before I order but I bet that would work fine!

I would rather run a cone type intake just like that Honda clone intake.

jrzmac

you can also get a regular intake and get rid of that 90 degree snowblower type thats on there now. Outdoor Distributors - Lawn Mower Parts theres no pic, but it's the same one thats on this engine!

you also might want to get a new carb too. those primer bulb type carbs arent really that good for minibikes. theres no adjustment screws on them to dial in when you put a load on that bike!!! you can get an aftermarket carb like this Amazon.com: CARBURETOR CARBURETOR REPL TECUMSEH 632615: Patio, Lawn & Garden

ADRO

you can also get a regular intake and get rid of that 90 degree snowblower type thats on there now. Outdoor Distributors - Lawn Mower Parts theres no pic, but it's the same one thats on this engine!

you also might want to get a new carb too. those primer bulb type carbs arent really that good for minibikes. theres no adjustment screws on them to dial in when you put a load on that bike!!! you can get an aftermarket carb like this Amazon.com: CARBURETOR CARBURETOR REPL TECUMSEH 632615: Patio, Lawn & Garden
I may just have to bite the bullet and get a new carb.:doah:

I am having some idle issues...The bike sounds great, runs great but after riding and Its just idling, it slowly sputters out and dies.

ALSO, there are times while riding the bike backfires really loudly.

So, would a new carb likely fix these issues? what else can I do to "tune-up" this motor?

buckeye

If you have that primer buld carb, they give folks fits.
I had one that I messed with for weeks and never could get it to idle right. Finally bit the bullet and purchase a adjustable carb. Have never had a issue since.