DoodleBug hydraulic brake

rudedog

OK guys, I've been asked to provide info as to where and how we set-up our DB with a rear hydraulic brake. Believe it or not I've attempted a couple of times to post this and after spending 30+ minutes typing it all out, it's disappeared. So I'ma try again!!!

We got our rear set-up from www.partsforscooters.com. Got to the search bar and enter in brakes, it'll take you to a page with lots of different styles, you may find one you like better. THIS is the one we got X18 4-stroke pocket bike brakes, hydraulic brakes, chinese pocket bike parts, 4-stroke 110cc brake parts.

In all honestly, it couldn't be much simpler than removing the old stock stuff and bolting on the new. The bracket bolt spacing, I believe is like 50-52mm and the caliper is advertised as 51mm, ours fit perfectly. I even used the stock DB allen head bolts. After install, I would recommend re-bleeding the system, but it does come sealed and seems to have been bled from the factory, I just usually don't trust stuff to be done for me, like that, so I bled it myself. I don't have any install pics, I thought we had taken some but apparently not. I do however have some I took today.

I weigh 350+ and I can gaurantee that this will stop you dead nuts. In the grass from full bore, it WILL fish tail and all but put you on your ass. I've used scrub, band and probably every other type stock style brake out there over the years, and this one is the best.

Yes the tire is flat, and yes there are a few bolts missing from the disk, I've really not ridden the thing in probably 4 months.

rudedog

Stock DB disk. There were NO alterations done with the exception of the hydraulic unit install, EVERYTHING else is stock DB.

Hi Rudedog ; Looks good I think the price is great and I always have loved to use juice brakes whenever possible. Question is that mount set up to float the caliper ?
Steve :scooter:

rudedog

Steven, it floats just like the stock caliper would. As a matter of fact, I'll bet you could use the stock DB caliper bracket, but I didn't do any measuring. If you were to lay the components side by side they are almost identical.

GTO, yes most definitely!!

Dang, wish I had found that before I installed my rear brake a month ago. I bought one that looks the same, but is much larger. Sounds good until you try to install it, and end up flipping the rear wheel hub, moving the brake and sprockets around, shifting the engine, making a new brake mounting bracket... Not fun.

But I now have this one bookmarked for when I do my wife's bike up, so not all is lost for me. Thanks for the info!

Dang, wish I had found that before I installed my rear brake a month ago. I bought one that looks the same, but is much larger. Sounds good until you try to install it, and end up flipping the rear wheel hub, moving the brake and sprockets around, shifting the engine, making a new brake mounting bracket... Not fun.

But I now have this one bookmarked for when I do my wife's bike up, so not all is lost for me. Thanks for the info!
how bout some pictures?

Of my abortion of a brake job? Sure. Its at work at the moment, so I'll snap a couple pictures tomorrow. Turned out alright, and is very functional, but probably not worth all the work that I could have avoided had I purchased the one mentioned above. Took a lot of :hack:, a fair bit of :grind:, tons of :weld: and more than a little :drinkup: to get 'er done.

Last edited:

fonz

Rudedog!
You have provided this board with the most important info since Cjtmini put together his kit!
My thanks for your work and time spent providing us with a place to order and the part numbers. I always felt that once a 6.5hp was installed in the DB, the brakes didn't match the power and were the weak link in the chain. My Grandson went through six sets of pads in four months!!
Again my thanks for all your work and info!:thumbsup:

Hey guys, no problem. I just wish the first post would have stuck, the info and pics would have been up a couple of months ago.

I know with the different brake I installed on mine, the back of the caliper would rub my tire. Thats part of why it took so much to make my different caliper work.

It sounds like you tried it (and must have had the tire full of air when you did), and I'm guessing there was still plenty of space between the back of the caliper and the tire?

Rude Dog,

The brake set up looks great. I have a suggestion that is "off topic."

As I am typing a long involved explanation I often need to go to word from OldMiniBikes to do spell correct. After a few paragraphs I hit control Copy and Control "V" so I have it saved in memory and/or microsoft word. I cannot count the times and frustration caused by loosing work. Control Copy and open and minimize Word so it's there and a copy exists.

You do great work and I appreciate you sharing your projects with the group!

Dude, wear some f-ing eye protection.......lol

TT :thumbsup:

It sounds like you tried it (and must have had the tire full of air when you did), and I'm guessing there was still plenty of space between the back of the caliper and the tire?
No, literally I took the stock set-up off before we ordered the hydraulic unit, simply to measure the mount "plate", it came out to roughly 50-52mm. The caliper bracket is advertised as 51mm, so we bought it. We figured if it didn't work we'd sell the thing on craigs list or something. I didn't try any other measurements. When you get the piece you will understand, they LOOK identical laying next to each other with the exception of one having a hydraulic line coming out of it. Really, it's that simple.

Thanks TT, I'll have to keep that control thingy in mind for next time, and the lack of eye wear was really just a one time thing, honest.

Last edited:
you can also highlight and control-v in the reply box here on the board. that way you don't have to mess around with Word. depending on what browser you are using, misspelled words will be underlined and then you just right click and choose the correct spelling. i'm using the newest version of FF.

btw, i got the brake ordered this morning. i'll let you guys know what i think when it gets here.

Here are a couple of shots of the brake caliper that I installed. It was meant for one of those small ATV's, so its fairly large and the master cylinder had a parking brake feature.

From the mounting bracket to the back of the caliper was too long. The back of the caliper rubbed the tire by probably around 1/16". Moving the mounting bracket on the caliper to flush with the front of the original brake mounting bracket on the frame gave plenty of room. But that meant that the brake rotor wouldn't line up. So we flipped the rear wheel (and spacers) around so that the sprocket side was on the brake side. Swapped the rotor and the sprocket, and the rotor lined up perfectly with plenty of clearance.

But, that put the sprocket closer to the tire than original, so we had to remove the motors and make new holes in the mounting plate so it could shift over enough to have the chain line up like it needed to. The one good thing about moving the motor and TAV over slightly was that it put the balance point back in the center of the bike.

The place that I bought the brake from doesn't actually list it at the moment. May have bought the last ones. But they do have a few other options. You can check them out at pocketbikeparts.com.

On my next bike, I will try rudedog's setup, no question.