Drover or Duck?

I am starting to work on this minibike that I have had for decades. It is little more than a frame but pretty solid. I think it's a Sears Drover. The bottom layer of paint is a limey green. I have more pictures if additional detail is needed. I want to stay fairly close to original when I build it if I can.

Thanks;

Mike T

capguncowboy

Quack... Weren't they the same bike? One was made for Sears (Drover) and the other was sold by Bird (Duck). I could be wrong.

EDIT: Duck had 7/8" tubing, the Drover had 1" tubing.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the information so far. Mine has 1" frame and handlebars. It came with no wheels. The yellow frame above as well as the schematic show a steel strip for a rear fender mount. In pictures I have seen it appears to be welded to the rear axle/spring tab. Mine has no such fender mount nor any indication one was ever there. It does however have the stub ends of what looks like a broken fender mount on each frame tube over the rear tire. The mount stubs remaining are 6.5" above the axle centerline. Pretty tight to clear a 12" tire so I was estimating it had 11" tall tires which would be a 4.10x3.50-5. Circumstantial evidence.

My sears drover (stickers still on it, that's where I get that and Simple Tom's diagram) is the same Lime-ish color too.
Seems like the seat mount is the only difference. BTW thanks for posting the diagrams guys.
I've wondered how big of an engine would fit, mine came with a tecumseh 3.5 but the original is in parts...
For some reason they gave them longer forks (cooler to me) than the ropers? But no front shocks.

Last edited:
So I am going to go with Sears Drover for the following reasons:
Limey Green paint shows as first paint color.(Ugh)
1" tubing frame and forks.
Large wrap around gusset at fork end of frame.
Seat mount design.
And a 5" wheel in my spare parts box that could have come with this frame.

Not sure who has best answer. One said 1" frame was Drover. Another had diagrams and documentation.
How do I decide to site rules?
But thank you to everyone.
Build thread will commence soon in Project logs.

Mike T