Hey guys i got a predator 212 a few months ago from harbor freight, put some basic mods on the engine (new air filter, removed the oil sensor, new exhaust - straight piped-) and the bitch won't start anymore… even with carb cleaner it starts for a second then sputters out a few seconds later :crying::crying: any tips on getting her to start again? haven't removed the governor… if you have any idea on how to get this to start any help is helpful… my idea is the air filter is putting too much air in the mix and is killing the engine

Motors need 4 things to run .. Timing, Compression, Fuel and spark.

It runs on starting fluid so its a Fuel issue.

Check the float, is there gas in there?

If you unscrew your spark plug out of the head, then stick it back in the wire then lay the plug on top of the head...then pull your rope..if the end of the plug sparks then you should be firing OK . Make sure your kill switch is in the on/run position.

So what you're saying, is you had an engine that ran, then you messed with it, and now it doesn't run?

Let's think some more about this, shall we?

If you unscrew your spark plug out of the head, then stick it back in the wire then lay the plug on top of the head...then pull your rope..if the end of the plug sparks then you should be firing OK . Make sure your kill switch is in the on/run position.
This is where I would check as well. Make sure your kill switch wiring is not grounding out on metal somewhere.

------------------

Edit - if it runs on spray, it's a fuel issue.

Perhaps there is blockage in the needle & seat, float is stuck, or the jet is plugged.

Last edited:
You could take out float and needle,put back together leaving them out..turn on gas shut off for 10 sec or so,then shut it off ..that put gas I bowl..then try starting..if starts and runs for 20 sec or more until gas in bowl runs dry.. then I would look at float and needle ..make sure float is level...