Finicky nomad

This nomad. When it goes, it's fantastic fun. But then the brakes always go out and I almost die. How do I get the bands to adjust so that they stop the bike? I'd like them to lock the wheels. Also, the comet torque converter is sticky and as a result sometimes the bike takes off on its own. Any way to adjust this?

There is no way a pair of band brakes will lock up the rear wheels. The mechanical facts are 6 inch drums VS 25 inch diameter tires on 8 inch wheels, subtract from that the friction loss of using cables and levers it is a sad fact you are in danger and I hope your wearing a helmet.
As for a sticking driver on the engine you need to use some Comet dry lube spray part # 204097A I saves belts and makes the system shift smoothly,
Steve

There is no way a pair of band brakes will lock up the rear wheels. The mechanical facts are 6 inch drums VS 25 inch diameter tires on 8 inch wheels, subtract from that the friction loss of using cables and levers it is a sad fact you are in danger and I hope your wearing a helmet.
As for a sticking driver on the engine you need to use some Comet dry lube spray part # 204097A I saves belts and makes the system shift smoothly,
Steve
It's "you're wearing a helmet" and thanks for the kind PSA. However, it is a happy fact that bands can indeed lock wheels; hence the idea behind 90% of older brakes. Maybe I can join a knitting forum to get some more grandmotherly advice.

I was looking more for:

I've tried blank and it works.
Since the other gokart I have locks the rear wheels tighter than a dolphin's butthole, I think maybe I'll try taking the glaze off of the drum.

Anyone know an substitute for comet's proprietary formula?

You might want to read some threads. Steve knows more about trikes than anybody. Assuming you aren't 12 years old and weigh more than 100 pounds then the fact is band brakes arent as good as other types of brakes. You can use them. And if you have knobbies with less tread hitting the ground and they are adjusted properly then you can lock them up. But not all the time. With 8 posts you may want to lose the attitude though. Or this may be the last response this tight group of people give you.

It's "you're wearing a helmet" and thanks for the kind PSA. However, it is a happy fact that bands can indeed lock wheels; hence the idea behind 90% of older brakes. Maybe I can join a knitting forum to get some more grandmotherly advice.

I was looking more for:

I've tried blank and it works.
What Steve and gumpit said about the band brakes is exactly right. I haven't been a member here very long, but from I have been reading, these guys know their stuff!
Since the other gokart I have locks the rear wheels tighter than a dolphin's butthole, I think maybe I'll try taking the glaze off of the drum.

Anyone know an substitute for comet's proprietary formula?
Of course you're gonna have better braking with a band setup on a go kart! Most Go Karts are small, light weight, have much smaller wheels and have a heck of a lot less inertia than your trike!!
Like gumpit said, be cool and read the forum pages. You'll be surprised at the knowledge you gain and you might even make some new friends along the way. :thumbsup:

Shawn

Not interested in making friends just needed to know something simple and was rewarded with a grandma response. Guess what everyone? Took the glaze off and what happened...THE WHEELS LOCK.

Now, is there or is there not a generic for comet lube?

Guess what. They are going to glaze again. Good luck stopping when you need to. If you can't afford the real stuff maybe this is the wrong hobby for you.

But then the brakes always go out and I almost die.
it is a sad fact you are in danger and I hope your wearing a helmet.
Maybe I can join a knitting forum to get some more grandmotherly advice.
Since you bagged on a member old enough to be your father, who raced trikes back in the 70's, and who owned a shop which raced and serviced them, I doubt many people will want to jump through hoops for you.

In addition to your improper use of a semi-colon, (used to separate independent sentence clauses, not in place of colons) your quick-to-anger temperament is unbecoming. Perhaps knitting would indeed be a better fit for you. (wear eye protection, so you don't "almost go blind" from a grisly accident with a needle) :laugh:

Also, c.u.n.t.pit, what do you mean afford the real stuff? What the hell are you even talking about?

To all of you: quit slobbing on the dude's knob who fuc king talked shit in the first place. This is the internet, not a goddamn social club.

Dude you got some nerve :eek:ut: Steve has forgotten more about trikes than most of us will ever learn :thumbsup: As for Gumpit, if I have a question about a trike he is the first one I go to :thumbsup: As for you, I hope you get your wish :ban: