first 5hp flathead

Hello my neighbor asked me if I could take a look at their sons go kart. It ended up having a Briggs 5hp flathead on it. I've never messed with one before but told them I would since it sounded like the Carb just needed to be clean. Before I messed with it it crank on choke and run for 10 seconds then cut off. Took spark plug out it was black. Cleaned it off still did same thing. Gas tank is under the Carb. Got tank off and noticed there is only one bolt holding Carb onto the block. Cleaned the Carb put fresh gas in added another bolt to hold Carb on and now can barley get it to crank. And when it finally did it wanted to take off. Looked like there was gas leaking from where Carb bolts onto block Even though it has a thick gasket. I'm lost and really would appreciate any help.

if it starts to take off but you can hold it still, then its probally your clutch put some oil between the snap ring and the bushing then it should fix the taking off

what carb is it? newer emissions style or older?
model type and code will determine this,if it was not replaced with something else.
the newer style can not be cleaned thoroughly,you can't get into the passages in the fuel pickup with out special tooling. the only thing there is a plug on the side of the carb,but i don't think it can be removed,i have not attempted this.

Last edited:
Like stated above, Check the diaphragm (on the side of the carb facing the exhaust, held on with four screws) and if it looks bad, replace it.

Did check diaphragm and didn't look bad. But now it leaks from the diaphragm. Doesn't look like the bottom of the cover is touching at all. But screws are tight as can get.