Fm71's OldMiniBikes-15 scratch-build step-thru chopper

If you have a decent motorcycle shop close by, they should have cable, cable housing and all the fittings and tools to make up anything you need.

We don't have a decent cycle shop where I live, but we use to and they are missed. looking good, by the way.

No prob.....The only reason I know anything about Flanders is because we had a parts manager that had an extensive motorcycle back ground. He had big spools of conduit, cable, fittings and tools to make cycle throttle, brake and clutch cables. He passed away in his 50's of Chrone's disease and I heard they auctioned off his stuff. He had no wife or kids. I didn't know about the auction till it was over and I heard they practically gave stuff like this away. (His sisters)

wanted to share some more progress. I have dedicated 2 hours every night until I get this thing completed but still making slow progress. I am almost complete with the front end and think it is a pretty interesting design borrowed from the trail tamer suspension but with a twist. I mounted the forks to the "U" tube by a hinged mounting tab that doubles as a stop which will hold the springs in place. Kinda hard to describe so I am including a few extra pictures which will give you the general idea. I have my control cables in my shopping cart but toying with another idea of using foot controls using standard throttle cable doubling as foot pegs just need to find a way to add a bracket coming up to allow a little more leverage and control. This might be too extreme of a concept but I am willing to sacrifice a couple extra days in hopes it might work.

first couple pics are of the fork on the bike with some slip over tubes which act and mimic spring/shocks. the lower spring mounts have not been put in yet but the uppers are welded and working as intended. the next couple are just fabrication shots showing the back sides just prior to welding. my last photo is a concept for the foot controls.

Looking good......In regard to the throttle, can you slide the twist grip off and weld a foot pedal to the exposed tube then trim the grip around that?....it is a very innovative design feature.

Looking good......In regard to the throttle, can you slide the twist grip off and weld a foot pedal to the exposed tube then trim the grip around that?....it is a very innovative design feature.
Probably not with this style but I have seen the ones you are referencing. I had it apart the other night and it is solid plastic with the split ends being a cast metal. If I would use this one, I have some 7/8 tube with an ID of 3/4 and could use an inner sleeve with 3/4 tube -but that's more work than just making my own foot control. I just liked how it seemed "clean". I purchased a 75" brake cable and a 100" throttle cable that should be here by next Thursday. Will probably finish up on the front this evening and start working on filling in the frame with some body filler and work on the floor board this weekend.

Completed the roller this afternoon and brought it out for a quick shot in the Wisconsin sunshine. The front springs were a little softer than I expected so I added a counter spring to the back of the hoop section. Will be making preps for paint soon and getting the final sanding and body filler applied this evening. Really digging how this is turning out even though it is far from my original design.

I love the bike, not feeling the front end though. Its your bike but if you didnt want opinions you wouldnt have posted it:) so please dont take it the wrong way, I think it would have flowed better with the bike and looked sleeker to use the traditional springer set-up you had designed at first. It's not so bulky/busy and springs looking bunched on the sides and the rear hanger spring detracts from the wicked build you have going.

I love the bike, not feeling the front end though. Its your bike but if you didnt want opinions you wouldnt have posted it:) so please dont take it the wrong way, I think it would have flowed better with the bike and looked sleeker to use the traditional springer set-up you had designed at first. It's not so bulky/busy and springs looking bunched on the sides and the rear hanger spring detracts from the wicked build you have going.
Thanks TX, I gain more from the critical comments than from those that just say "looks good". I agree, I am somewhat dissatisfied with the third spring and was not expecting that. I may have some stiffer springs to use in the front and be able to ditch the 3rd. The springer setup was a little aggressive for my skills and I could not figure it out. It also put the front wheel out much further than the mockups show and I did not like the proportions. I am adding a wedge to the lower part of the spring which should help with the 'bunching' appearance but under a rider's weight, it is balanced and the hoop becomes horizontal.

started assembly but having some doubtful moments now. Still have the gas tank mount, exhaust, intake and some cables to run (and the seat) but push comes to shove- planning the ride on Saturday even if I have to flintstone it around and DQ myself but there is still 6 days left, right?

Thanks MrPat and Outlaw Ace.

All of the control cables are now installed and functional but I still have an exhaust and a seat remaining until I can check off everything on the list. As long as this engine fires up, Saturday is still scheduled for the test ride. Currently showing rain in the forecast but who knows??

Thanks Buckeye.

The weather is really not cooperating today for a test ride but despite some carb flooding issues, everything seems to be fine. I ended up shoe-horning a motovox gas tank under the seat because the level of the remote tank wasn't high enough for a gravity feed fuel system. Seat and exhaust finished last night and waiting for some better weather and will put it in the truck and find a nice spot for a test ride and final photo pics. Seat is removable for filling the tank.

Attaching a video of the engine running and a quick walk-around. The choke was still on and the carb probably needs a good cleaning from sitting for almost 2 years so there is some hesitation which I can take care of before the ride. If the weather doesn't let up later this evening, I may be able to upload a riding video on Sunday. Apparently, photos cannot be submitted at this time and my browser keeps going to some random post or I would post my final shots--

https://youtu.be/Eu5usC6LTeQ

Fm, that bike turned out beautiful man, great job on the whole thing !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This bike is in a league of its own. :wink: