Fork tube thickness

My buddy is contemplating making a set of forks. He wants 1" for the down tubes. What does he need to tell them he wants? Type of metal? Wall thickness? These tubes will come up to a cross tube for the handlebars which he wants to do in 7/8" because it will be easier to find controls. What size for the 7/8"? Then does he just crush the ends to drill the holes for the axle? He actually needs to make 3 sets of the same.

CarPlayLB

I am not a huge fan of the crushed tubes at the front axle. If I could weld, I would use a piece of heavy wall tube with a 5/8 i.d. For simplicity sake, buy some axle spacers the appropriate width and use those. Similar to the Bonanza lowers on a BC1300. I think most tube was .083 wall thickness...but 100% on that!

Randy , I usally use .095 wall 1"od steel tubing for frames but if you want some strong forks go to .120 wall...or thicker. Same with the 7/8 dom steel tubing .095 wall is easier to bend but .120 wall is stronger. Handle bar tubing needs to be 7/8 DOM tubing...I think 1/2 pipe almost measures 7/8"...or maybe its 3/4" pipe....but its like .045 to small.

Last edited: