Forming and flattening fork legs

Scottessey

Hey Fellas, I'm not sure if this has been posted before. I seem to remember Karen doing something similar on one of her builds. Let me know if it's old news. :wink:

I was helping a friend this week to repair some forks and it got me trying something that I hadn't experimented with before: Flattening fork ends. This is a walk in the park when you're dealing with a crimp that goes straight across like this one (below), but it takes a little more effort when you're trying to match a radius formed one. The one I was working one wasn't just a radius but more of an elliptical shape. Enough jibber jabber, here are some pics! :thumbsup:

Here is the easy style I made for a friend a while back. Some blocks in a press is all you need for these.

Here is the elliptical style I needed to make and the forming dies I made up. My brother was nice enough to machine these for me out of 1/2" steel bar. I was crossing my fingers that they would work out like I planned.

I then put the plates and the tubing in a press with some guides to keep everything in the right place. (I should have taken a pic):facepalm:. I centered the tubing in the dies, pressed it into shape, drilled the axle hole, and finally shaped the end on the belt sander to come out with this as my finished product. It worked out just like I hoped it would! :freakout: :freakout: :freakout:

I hope this gives anyone who's interested in forming tubing the confidence to give it a try. :drinkup:

Last edited:
They look awesome:thumbsup: I did make some fork plates but not as perfect as yours:laugh: I just used some old steel I had laying around:laugh: Awesome workmanship as usual:thumbsup:

looks great man! I like how you took it a step farther and elongated them. only problem I see is those blocks dont really look wide enough to put in guide pins. the guide pins need to be big or they will bend. like 1/2" or bigger :thumbsup:

you are amazing scott..........can't wait to see what you do with your next project. that is if someone would get busy and send it to ya...........:doah::doah:

CarPlayLB

there ya go again Scott...puttin' us rank amateurs in our place! Awesome job...truly impressive. Is the final piece to the Dart cycle preproduction reproduction process? You can start to make them now...I will send a down payment too!

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Hey Fellas, I'm not sure if this has been posted before. I seem to remember Karen doing something similar on one of her builds. Let me know if it's old news. :wink:

I was helping a friend this week to repair some forks and it got me trying something that I hadn't experimented with before: Flattening fork ends. This is a walk in the park when you're dealing with a crimp that goes straight across like this one (below), but it takes a little more effort when you're trying to match a radius formed one. The one I was working one wasn't just a radius but more of an elliptical shape. Enough jibber jabber, here are some pics! :thumbsup:

Here is the easy style I made for a friend a while back. Some blocks in a press is all you need for these.

Here is the elliptical style I needed to make and the forming dies I made up. My brother was nice enough to machine these for me out of 1/2" steel bar. I was crossing my fingers that they would work out like I planned.

I then put the plates and the tubing in a press with some guides to keep everything in the right place. (I should have taken a pic):facepalm:. I centered the tubing in the dies, pressed it into shape, drilled the axle hole, and finally shaped the end on the belt sander to come out with this as my finished product. It worked out just like I hoped it would! :freakout: :freakout: :freakout:

I hope this gives anyone who's interested in forming tubing the confidence to give it a try. :drinkup:

The elliptical style is the best one and strongest.

The flat across press is not as strong.

I even added ringlets to the outside for added support.

The hardest part is keeping it all lined up before you press it.
I made mine from 3/4" thick plate, clamped two of them together.
Then had the machine shop drill a 1" hole half way down the center of the two plates.

Now what I need to do is create guides, for hands free straight press.

4 bolts as guides to keep the tubing where I want it and centered.

Then all I'll have to do is, insert tubing, press, remove. insert tubing, press, remove, etc.

Thanks Fellas! One more thing I forgot to mention. If you find that your tubing is cracking, try heating up the formed area with a torch until it's just a bit red. It should be a lot softer and easier to form. BE SAFE! :weld::thumbsup: