Free DB

Oldsalt

A friend of a friend called me this morning and asked if I wanted a new mini in exchange for fixing two that have problems. So I went to take a look. There sat two old minis, both with 5 HP Briggs engines, and a bland knew DB 30 [had been rode for two minutes]. One of the old minis is a post 1962 Caper Cycle. Right out of the box I asked how much loot it would take to own the Caper. He had no idea what it was but said it was given to him by his father 35 years ago and it won't ever be for sale. Told him I wouldn't sell it ether and explaned that it was manufactured here in our town. Now he really likes his Caper. He said he expected the DB to run like a real mini but is snail slow so he's not interested in keeping it. The other old mini has a swing arm and I have no idea what it is. Took all three home and fixed the carb on the Caper but it still needs work on rear wheel bearings and straighten the forks. The other bike just need a throttle cable hook-up and little else.

But now I have to figure out what to do with the DB. A little too big for my youngest grand daughtor but some child around here will want it.

Hi Oldsalt : Well the Red one is a Fox Campus. And drat it all the Caper Cycle didn't come with some fenders for you to copy for your bikes. as for the DB I am sure you will do right by it. Steve :scooter:

OldMan

I really like the green one! :wink:

The Murray clones are such better bikes, I wonder why more retailers don't sell them... plus they come with 4hp clone engines that are plenty fast for most folks.

Oldsalt

Hi Oldsalt : Well the Red one is a Fox Campus. And drat it all the Caper Cycle didn't come with some fenders for you to copy for your bikes. as for the DB I am sure you will do right by it. Steve :scooter:
O.K. We got rules here. We don't do estimates on what an old mini is worth. However, I had no idea the red machine is a Fox Campus.......... He said he would never sell the Caper and I agree he shouldn't. But the red one is NOT dear to his heart! Heard through a post or two here on OldMiniBikes that they are somewhat desireable. So as we can't be talking dollars I'll ask; How many cases of Bud should I offer him for it? He really likes Bud.

From what I've seen of the Campus bikes, some don't bring crap on ebay. Seen some rollers not even sell for $70

BUT, some are worth a few bucks for some reason.

I believe the ones that came with the briggs originally had a battery box welded onto the frame, and a fake plastic tank covered it. That one doesn't seem to have that unless it's hidden under the seat. May be the more desirable one.

Now who is it around here that knows about them? Can't remember, but he will know if it's the better one of the two...

if a case is a 20 spot, then just as a reference it has to be worth at least 10 of them maybe even 15, you are correct, there are people out there that love fox campus bikes.

Fox man knowes

From what I've seen of the Campus bikes, some don't bring crap on ebay. Seen some rollers not even sell for $70

BUT, some are worth a few bucks for some reason.

I believe the ones that came with the briggs originally had a battery box welded onto the frame, and a fake plastic tank covered it. That one doesn't seem to have that unless it's hidden under the seat. May be the more desirable one.

Now who is it around here that knows about them? Can't remember, but he will know if it's the better one of the two...
Well the Campus man is Ogygopsis and he is the avid collector and should be the best source for information. Steve :scooter:

Oldsalt

BTW, weren't the first Caper fenders flat without the rib? That's what mine are.
I believe that's another question I have to ask the guy that worked at the factory. Highly possible the early ones were flat. Ben Hunt would have made it as easy as possible for himself. I did find out that the "bead" was made by standard beading dies that came with a Pull-Max machine. I was told that aluminum sheets cut into pieces of the proper width and length. The rounded ends were then cut on the Pull-Max [with the cutting blades installed] and finially they were beaded. I asked how the fenders were formed to have the curved shape. I didn't get an answer and did not press the question. I suppose that is more than you wished to know. There has to someone out there that knows for sure if there are 'early' and 'late' fenders.

Would like to see a pic of your fenders.

Oldsalt

How much is a case of bud?

Bum luck on no caper fenders, Where are they? does he have them some where?
Fenders were an option. As far as I can tell there never was a time when when they were installed unless ordered. Hence few fenders were ever built. I'll find a pair to copy. I allready know where two Pull-Max machines are at so making a few sets will be a piece of cake.

Oldsalt

if a case is a 20 spot, then just as a reference it has to be worth at least 10 of them maybe even 15, you are correct, there are people out there that love fox campus bikes.
Finished working on the Caper and the owner came by today to pick-up it up. I asked where he got the Fox. He said it was given to him by a guy that also got it for free from a guy that was moving out of town. Asked if he would sell it. His reply was "How much you give me?" I had 2-1/2 cases of Bud in my mind but I did not want to be too big of a piker so I offered 3-3/4 cases of Bud. He said O.K. The bike has a really low hour I/C Ball Bearing 5 HP Briggs.

Now I'm beginning to feel like I took advantage of a person with self induced deminished capacity. I got a new DB and a rather nice Campus for a few bearings, jackshaft, cables and other work on the Caper.

Don't feel bad. Maybe he wanted to do a favor for you and make you a killer deal. Now that he knows you and that you work on bikes hes probably hoping the good deal on the fox will grease the wheels with you in the future when he needs more work. Sounds like a win win relationship to me. Hes ahead of the game in his mind and so are you, thats how bartering works....and its a beautiful thing:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: