gocart i threw together

Iv been wanting a nice simple cart for quite a while so iv been collecting parts and working on it the last couple weeks when i get the time. I rode it for the first time today.
I started with a mower front end with low spindles and put some hand cart wheels on it. I made the frame with some bedframe and a boat seat. Gotta love the bedframe because it has alot of twist it acts almost like a suspention and keeps all the wheels planted its alot more comfortable than a rigid cart. The rear end is from a rear engined john deere tractor. The clutch i had laying around for years its smaller than the usual size but it seems to work well. I havnt hooked up the brakes yet or throttle both will be hand controlled i always find it difficult to be accurate with foot contolls while bouncing around on a cart. The engine was the hard part. Its an old clinton that has been kicking around since i can remember and hasnt been run in atleast 20 years. As kids we never had the know how to really get the thing running. So i finally had a use for it.
It had no plug in it so i put some mmo in it. Checked for spark and it was good. So i made a manifold for it and fitted an old briggs 5hp vertical shaft pulsa jet carb and tank. I got it running but it just would not run well. I think the check valve seats are too far gone to work . So i gave up on it for a bit and worked on my track bike. But today i jumped back on it with a mikuni i picked up last week from the junk yard from an old yamaha golf cart. I had no idea if or how it would run with this thing iv never used a mikuni before. So i rigged it up and made a tank mount and routed the muffler out of the way. Started it up and it runs perfectly! I adjusted down the idle quite a bit and thats it. Took it for a spin around the house it works great! I had a bit of a skare when the trottle licage got hung up its kinda hard to ride with one arm cocked around like that you know. So i quit before i hurt myself. Im pretty excited about it this is going to be a fun cart for sure :thumbsup:

I got the brake and throttle hooked up and got it working real good. The seam on the gas tank leaks in one spot so iv got to melt the lead to reseal it i guess. I already changed the spout on the tank because the old one was mangled that went really well. i got all muddy from last nights rain lol

You be real careful melting the solder in that joint so you don't blow that tank up in your face, might better take it to a radiator shop they can clean solder and pressuse test it safely. :thumbsup:

yup last time i washed it good but it had been sitting without gas for 15 years. Gotta wash it out real good this time. When i was little my neighbor had a gas tank blow up when he was hoseing it out. Gotta be real carefull about that stuff.
The steering neck is steel but the stem isnt .
Im also going to swap out the clutch to a max torque. The little guy gets aufull hot

delray

jeep2003 in almost need to weld some tubes(loops)next to the seat on the left and right with foam padding around them. kept you from sliding off the cart when making hard turns.:thumbsup:.....:scooter:

GSbiker

Thats a pretty nice kart, a good use of resources.

I see all these cool projects and I want to build something but with the new/old house I cant spend a dime on anything but the house for now.

I have thought about using one of those garden carts as a starting point the make a cheap version of the military MULE carts.

Here is a link to a wikipedia of the MULE.U.S. Military M274 Truck, Platform, Utility 1/2 Ton, 4X4
I know this is an old thread but did you ever make a M274 cart? I have been thinking about the same project. Take a looks at this one. M274 military mule half scale home build - DIY Go Kart Forum

well since yall brought it up i might as well update. :laugh: Iv since changed out the old clinton for an old briggs 5hp 1963 i think. Iv also made up a jackshaft for it to gear it down a bit for better hill climbing. It slowed it down but didnt give it all that much more power. kinda odd. but it does fine and its still workin great :smile:

Nope I didnt build one this year its been pretty wild with my job being privatized and me now working with the new company.

I mostly worked on the blastard and finally I'm very happy with it.

GSbiker

Nope I didnt build one this year its been pretty wild with my job being privatized and me now working with the new company.

I mostly worked on the blastard and finally I'm very happy with it.
Well, I think I am going to give it a try. I have most of the parts laying around here. Just need a forward-neutral-reverse gearbox.