Help! I'm new and need advice !

I am I contact with a guy that has a Tote Goat for sale. He is asking $550. I know these can be a beast of a mini bike but is it worth all the hassle with the extra sprockets, bearings, chains and such or am I better off with say a Coleman CT200U-ex and do a predator 212 swap. I weigh 280 so I'm pushing the limits of all mini bikes. I have included some pictures of the Tote Goat. Also does anyone know the year or model. Thank you so much for your help! Screenshot_20200513-124253_OfferUp.jpg Screenshot_20200513-124253_OfferUp.jpg

Attachments

The sprockets and chains are what enable it to do what it can do. That thing can climb a wall !

The Coleman may be new...but it does not come close to being able to ride the terrain that the Sportsman can.

Also, and Richard and others can speak to this...these type utility bikes like the Sportsman, and Tote Gote's were built to haul not only you, but would typically haul you, and a deer.

Last edited:
There should be a stamped sheet metal cover on the foam filter, not open like it is now for water and the like.
The bike looks to be in good condition. I'd ride it before you fork out the cash.

I think it should definitely pull you. Utility type mini bikes are not designed for speed, but can climb and pull like crazy.

We're not supposed to give values, per forum rules. But I'd say this, I am a negotiator, and encourage others to do so.

That said, I think most sellers start out with a price they'd love to get, but in actuality are expecting to get kicked once or twice. I don't think his asking price is out of line for a place to start the negotiation toward a price you feel more comfortable with.

So ride it, and if you like it, make him an offer that you feel comfortable starting with, and if he's comfortable with it, win, win.

If not, work it out between y'all.

I don't think I broke any rules...lol. Didn't intend to if I did.

Keep us posted, and welcome to the OldMiniBikes...!

Well, it's in my garage. This thing pulls like a crazed bull. It will need some stuff. The guy did a crappy weld job on the pegs and one came off already. I will weld on something better. It runs like a champ, with mobs of torque. Thank you guys for all the advice. You really helped me in the decision. I'm hooked now. I will probably still get a coleman ct200u for the go fast bike. My wife is going to kill me...

Congratulations Heepster...!

I'm glad you were able to work something out.

Mini bikes are similar to potato chips, one is never enough.

Have fun riding and working on this one while you hunt for the next one !

Sportsman made many models. Yours doesn't look like it ever had the single shock. It may be a Hunter. These were very rugged machines and should hold up to a lot of punishment. I think the performance will surprise you. I would replace the chains and look for shocks that are more like the originals.
sport_018.jpg

Yeah, now I have 3 in my garage. The Hunter, a nice little 97cc Doodle Bug DB30 and a Coleman CT200U in the camo. The Coleman will be a go fast bike and the Doodle Bug is my daughters, we are going to strip it down and paint it. The Sportsman Hunter I going to stay the way it is, a raging beast! My wife is still on the fence on whether I live or die...

Attachments