Hodaka question??

A good running engine wont foul at 32:1. I use to run a full synthetic two stroke Amsoil at 100:1 in all my bikes but that is what was recommended by the oil. I am running a hodaka at 32:1 with a 50:1 max synthetic with no issues. Plug dark brown. not all synthetics are equal. You have to go by the oil recommendations.
Reasonable logic, George... Not all plugs are equal either. I have a '71 RD350, street-legal track bike that I built a number of years ago (I'll put some pics up) and I can't go 5 miles on Champion plugs, without both plugs fouling, regardless of heat range It'll go forever on a set of NGK's though.

Ya know, really, there are so many variables involved with 2-stroke tuning, like temperature, altitude, humidity, whether you use a boost bottle or not, whether you've done any porting and on and on. I guess if you find a ration that you feel works for you, in your conditions, go with it...

I remember it well! Nothin' like riding behind another 2-stroke back then, with that little spriral of blue smoke blowing up your nose! SNIFF, ahhhh....:thumbsup:
:laugh: My buddy just the other day was telling me about this Honda 350X he just got going...

"It smokes.. :mellow: Kinda bad.. Not REALLY bad.. Like, you can drive around the yard, and not CATCH your smoke"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, my references are to the 70's too... If you had more of a job than a paper route, you could afford Golden Spectro, otherwise, it was outboard motor oil or whatever 2-stroke oil we could afford... That was when most 2 strokes sounded a lot alike too, not like today's. (a particular Yamaha of mine comes to mind) Remember? Kind of a YING ningningningning, YIIIING ningningning-stall '''Out swung the kick starter, blap...blap...blap...blapblapblapblap...blap...blap...BLAPBLAPBLAPBLAP...pant,pant,pant. Then out came the plug wrench... :laugh:

I remember all the guys with Maicos used caster bean oil,it sure smelled funny.
I used pensoil two stroke out of a can at 32 to 1.
My friend bought a Hodaka the first ride with him,his piston shattered into many pieces.

I remember all the guys with Maicos used caster bean oil,it sure smelled funny.
I used pensoil two stroke out of a can at 32 to 1.
My friend bought a Hodaka the first ride with him,his piston shattered into many pieces.
I used Klotz oil in my Hodaka's and Bultacos mixed with Sunoco Blue 260 ....Many years ago.

toomanytoys

Yup thats so true !! I run everything I have at 50:1 as long as its tuned correctly. dont forget running more oil is actualy running it leaner. (less fuel and more oil which is prone for fouling)

Cheers !
When I rode 2 stroke dirt bikes, and ATVs i always ran 50:1. Seemed the perfect mix.