I got a free go kart. What is it?

zeeman

Here is another project I've added to my list. At least I think I want to fix it. It is pretty rough. No engine, rusted, broken frame, etc. Can anyone identify it?

buckeye

Thats one of them there rustybucketofpartsandstuff made on the Gulf Coast. At least that's what everything down here looks like.

zeeman

Yeah, I agree it's a pile of rusty broken parts, but I still think I want to try to fix it up. That's the fun-the challenge. Just wondering what I have here. Maybe someone will know.

Nice kart zeeman, it's rusty but should clean up decent enuff to be a good rider. What direction are you going to go with it? Are you gonna put on a Briggs flatty, clone, or a old karting motor like a Clinton or McCulloch?

Thats one of them there rustybucketofpartsandstuff made on the Gulf Coast. At least that's what everything down here looks like.
It's funny because I got a free kart last spring that sat outside in tall grass through the -30 C canadian winters, and your kart looks even rustier. Tho to a Canadain like me that kart is barely rusty compared to some of the stuff I am used to.

zeeman

Well, that's true. I did do that once. Are you saying that I should just go with that theme, and then I would be almost finished? Not a bad idea, but at the moment, I'm wanting it to look newish.

zeeman

Nice kart zeeman, it's rusty but should clean up decent enuff to be a good rider. What direction are you going to go with it? Are you gonna put on a Briggs flatty, clone, or a old karting motor like a Clinton or McCulloch?

It's funny because I got a free kart last spring that sat outside in tall grass through the -30 C canadian winters, and your kart looks even rustier. Tho to a Canadain like me that kart is barely rusty compared to some of the stuff I am used to.
I know. It is a rust bucket, but I like a challenge. The engine plate is so close to the seat, I think a Briggs would fit on it best. With a Tecumseh, I would have to mount the tank somewhere else. I am leaning toward a 5hp flatty, possibly hopped up a little. I will also have to cut the metal sides off and either slant them out, or make a different design. My rear end won't fit in the space provided by the original manufacturer. Discrimination for sure! That's one reason I was hoping to find out what brand it is- I want to know if it would be OK to cut on it etc. I do have an old McCulouch chain saw from 1980, but I looked into turning it into a powerplant, and it did not seem very feasible. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

zeeman

Well that's a change. Z,with your skills and patience whatever you do, I am sure it will turn out cool.
Thanks Buckeye. We'll see what happens to this little unit. I'm not happy unless I have about 3 or four projects going at the same time, so I'm just about happy.

zeeman

I would like to see what they look like. I have 3 wheels that match for the Kart, but I don't know what was on it originally. Are they 4 inchers? Thanks. I'll let you know. I might have something you need if I decide your wheels would work, we could trade. Check out my for sale stuff from a while back to see if you need anything I have.

Zeeman...can you post some more pics of the kart? Straight on front view, axle shape will help in ID'ing. Also...pic(s) of the wheels and a couple shots of the rear axle, and a good side view as well as the steering wheel. Is it a live axle?

zeeman

Zeeman...can you post some more pics of the kart? Straight on front view, axle shape will help in ID'ing. Also...pic(s) of the wheels and a couple shots of the rear axle, and a good side view as well as the steering wheel. Is it a live axle?
Thanks Scoooterboy. I'll get some better pictures posted today. It is a fixed axle. I'm not even sure if that is good or bad for asphalt. That's probably where I'll ride it one day. This is my first kart.