Jersey Rat

buckeye

So it's too short..like I never heard that before.:laugh:

Everything is ready to go. Dumped some gas in her and she about ripped my arm off.

WTH? Adjusted the valves right? Nope, my feeler gauge is rusted and I thought I had adjusted them correctly... nope, wrong setting.
New feel gauge it is.
Should be running tonight!!!!
Always something..:laugh:

Oh and thanks everyone for the encouragement. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking a trolling motor battery mounted to the handlebars with bungee cords and an electric starter might be the way to go :laugh:

buckeye

Now you're thinking.

Got it started..wootwooott..
Revs just fine but won'idle for crap.Even with the black Phillips head screw for fine idle adjustment screwed all the way in.

It is a bored out racing carb.
I think I saw a 38 jet in it when I cleaned it. It revs just fine. So, I don't think it's a main jet issue.
On the side of the carb, right by the valve cover, there is a jet of some sort.
I have researched all I can and this is a idle jet that was fixed at one time.
It now can be turned in and out.
Wonder what the proper adjustment would be?
I read 2 1/2?
Other than that, she sounds REALLY loud.:shrug:

I would try that screw which is the A/F mixture ...If that doesn't fix it the low side jet is under the big black Idle screw. Just screw it all the way out and the low side jet just pulls up out of its bore, and should have two tiny o'rings on it.

Chad, bought it used of bob's.
Do I need to give you my used carb speech??:doah::biggrin: We can get it right. One possibility is that the low speed jet is just blocked. Run a strand of wire through it to clean it well and check the carb passages. If that doesn't help, do you have the hand drill set from HF to drill jets? If so, take the low speed jet out and slide drills in till you get to the biggest size that will fit. If that was an ARC carb it would be a .022 low speed. May be a little much for your setup. It could also be too small as well but it's hard to get a good reading at idle. The a/f screw at the flange should be 1 1/2 or so but it all depends if the rest of the carb is right. We need to get it idling on it's own first but 1 1/2-2 should get you started.

buckeye

Awesome advice.
I'm cheap, can't help it.:laugh:
It worked great previously. :thumbsup:

I know I failed to remove the jet under the idle screw when I cleaned the carb. Certainly could be the problem.

Figured my final gearing as simple Tom pointed out how small my rear sprocket was.
7.50 sound right?

Update tonight..

7.50:1 will be a wheelie machine with that motor(or should be). I think you can go down quite a bit and pull some speed from it but see what the engine does and how it feels first. The old girls tongue may be hanging out at the end of the straights...:scooter: