Just found a pic of my dad on my old Go Kart

vette66_00

Well I think this was December of 1985 at my Grandparents house just a couple days after Christmas when we got the kart. My dad with his pipe in his face. LOL when he went all the hot ashes popped out of the pipe onto him and he jumped off to put the embers out. Not sure what the kart is, but that is the first of 3 3.5hp briggs we went through before the kart was sold to one of my dads doctor buddys for his kids.

My dad bought it and built it in one of his Patient rooms, it was used and the seat was missing and one rim was broken when he got it. Think body on a exam table. He put an old school chair on for a seat. Worked great after he covered it later in 86' with padding and fake black leather. The good old days. Also his 83' Toyota 4x4 making a cameo in the back ground.

If anybody knows what kart this is let me know. Kinda want another one.

Last edited:

vette66_00

The kart is still around as of 3 years ago. he guy didnt want to sell it back at time. Maybe Ill look him up again and see. :biggrin:

Must be kind of tough to look at sometimes!
To be honest, I got teary eyed when I found it in my moms stuff. I thought the picture was long gone. When my dad pasted away this picture was how I wanted to remember him as, not the frail, cancer tortured body that use to be a man that I last saw.

That's priceless. I love the bare feet.

I always had to wear shoes when I rode my go-kart because my shoes were my brakes.

My dad bought the primitive solid tire (non-pneumatic tires) kart sans brakes and equipped with a worn-out Clinton engine, which gave out shortly.

When the kart had no engine he had this brilliant idea to ride it down a long straight section of the newly constructed Little Mountain Road (not yet open to traffic) in San Bernardino (Next to Blair Park).

One day he loaded the kart in the trunk of the car and followed through with his idea. Now remember; this kart had no brakes and solid rubber tires. He brought the family along to watch and so my mom could drive down and pick him up at the bottom of the hill.

My dad survived, but said that the ride got scary when the kart quickly exceeded its safe operating speed, saying that it started shaking violently with the front wheels and steering going into what he called a "high-speed buffet" (an aircraft term; he was in the Air Force)

I would love to have any picture of him on it, especially one from that day.

I only have one picture of the kart, and it is with me on it at age 9 or 10 (1968/69), but I haven't been able to find it.

I'll scan and post a pic when I find it.

It's a shame your dad didn't get to live a long life. My dad passed at age 62.

Last edited:
Sorry about your dad my grandfather died from lung cancer! Its not the best way to go!

I know smoking is bad but i have photos of my grandfather and everything he did that when he was smoking while mowing the lawn takening out the trash or as seen in your photo even riding a Go cart interesting!