Looking for Powell Challenger parts

gagnt

Hello,
I am restoring a Powell we have had in the family since the late 60's and am looking for a rear wheel, rear axel, chain, chain tension adjusters, spring for the swing arm and a shift bar. I am kicking myself for loosing these parts over the years in various moves. Any help/ideas where to find would be appreciated.
Tim

george3

gagnt

It appears to be a powell challenger. It has a tractor appearing seat and the engine mounts are welded onto a round bar that will pivot the engine forward and backward. Originally the bike was orange, but the original frame cracked and we had to buy a newer one (which is red). The shift bar is positioned by a chrome spring at the top of the frame. Will post pictures soon. Thanks.

george3

It appears to be a powell challenger. It has a tractor appearing seat and the engine mounts are welded onto a round bar that will pivot the engine forward and backward. Originally the bike was orange, but the original frame cracked and we had to buy a newer one (which is red). The shift bar is positioned by a chrome spring at the top of the frame. Will post pictures soon. Thanks.
On the top bar it has a model letter and a serial No. Yours would ne a "D" about 1969. you need to find that wheel that was on it. It maybe hard to get another.

Scottessey

Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

Tractor seat? Sounds like it was an earlier model (except the frame). Bay Area Burrito has one of those. I'm sure he'll chime in.

I don't have the pieces you mentioned but I'm in the process of reproducing the jumbo wingnut for the forks...and hopefully soon, kickstands. :thumbsup:

gagnt

Jumbo wing nuts

I have the wing nut to the front forks. Didn't it have one for the seat also? I do not have that one and would be interested in one.

gagnt

king o lawn

Just figured out what that minibike was. Neat to hear some history on them as I grew up going to Ascot. Santa brought it to me when I was 5 or 6 years old. Flipped it and landed on my head Christmas morning! It had a white briggs and stratton originally. ?2-3.5 horse. Rode the heck out of it. Looking forward to getting it going also.

Just figured out what that minibike was. Neat to hear some history on them as I grew up going to Ascot. Santa brought it to me when I was 5 or 6 years old. Flipped it and landed on my head Christmas morning! It had a white briggs and stratton originally. ?2-3.5 horse. Rode the heck out of it. Looking forward to getting it going also.
does it have any remnants of the aggie 97 sticker on the fork plate?

Well the Powell well isn't dry yet there have been a lot of them show up in the South Bay area. But it is just a matter of first to find and jump and run with cash in hand and don't let the seller put you off you have to be super aggressive. Be ready to jump and run, do all you can when the owner calls to find out where it is.
Steve :scooter: