MiniBike Newbie - advice on first time build plans

Hi all - Congratulations on a great site you have here - I've just joined as a member and am really looking forward to contributing in some small way.......

Some advice for a newbie if you will please....

Im looking for advice on plans to use for a first time build - I'm new to MiniBikes and need to start somewhere.... could I have your recommendations of where to start please...

I'll need some plans ...... so which would you recommend bearing in mind my experience levels (see below), also which plans/builds are easier than the rest to get me started, and which plans/builds should I just avoid?

I really am basically a newbie with MiniBikes, but I am quite experienced in a "home-garage" kind of way - I have also had a serious mechanical interest over the proceeding years with old Lambretta and Vespa scooters and the more modern twist-and-go scooters. I would say my home-taught skills are quite good mechanically. I also have access to a mig-welder but I really am a novice with welding but am not afraid to learn.

So thanks in advance...
Fabio

[EDIT] edited to say that I'm in the UK (England)

Last edited:

oldsledz

I can not help with plans, but I think more info is needed before anyone will be able to help you. Will the bike before an child or adult? Where will it be used the most . roads, rough trails , will there be hills?

Welcome , starting with a scratch built frame is one way to dive in head first , lol !
The problem I have in the UK is the lack of availability of suppliers/manufacturers/frames - so it seemed starting from scratch was the most sensible way to go...

I can not help with plans, but I think more info is needed before anyone will be able to help you. Will the bike before an child or adult? Where will it be used the most . roads, rough trails , will there be hills?
Adult....on tarmac....some hills but not too many..... and not too steep...

Tarmac meaning asphalt/ concrete ? So you are going to build a road bike ? Good Luck to you and welcome to the OldMiniBikes ! My Mom was born in Knutton England.

Greetings..welcome..i dont scratch build...have given it lots of thought..would be nice you were able to get a frame..if not look online for plans...welder you got..need a electricians pipe bender..the neck to me is the most intimidating part..never doing one....maybe the builder guys here help you ..good luck mate :smile:

Im thinking that if i could work out which set plans was the simplest yes then id give it a go....it doesnt faze me too much as most of the minibikes that ive seen photos of seem relatively simple in design....or am i under-thinking this maybe?

Yes Sir....Knutton in Staffordshire ! My Uncles and Aunts have since passed...but my cousins and there families are still there. I visited there when I was 16 years old, and I loved it. Fish and chips, Mini Coopers and Pubs every where.

Yes Sir....Knutton in Staffordshire ! My Uncles and Aunts have since passed...but my cousins and there families are still there. I visited there when I was 16 years old, and I loved it. Fish and chips, Mini Coopers and Pubs every where.
Blimey what a coincidence!! I live about 5 miles away!!!!!

For a vintage classic mini bike they have the "bird wren" plans readily available. If anything else, it will give you some insight and inspiration.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx2dM1G0k692MHFENkozeHJqb0k/view?usp=drivesdk

Try this link for a pdf of the plans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
The link won't open for some reason, but I've seen a short video of a blue one on YouTube and it looks exactly like what I'm after..... I'll search google but if I can't find it do you have any other links for it can try?

The link won't open for some reason, but I've seen a short video of a blue one on YouTube and it looks exactly like what I'm after..... I'll search google but if I can't find it do you have any other links for it can try?
Just do a Google search for "bird wren mini bike plans" should be a pdf showing up at the top of the list

Just do a Google search for "bird wren mini bike plans" should be a pdf showing up at the top of the list

Ahaaaa! Yes I've got it - thank you.

Having a quick read through yes I could probably make that ok - thank so much !