My mini bike is trying to kill me

I have been working on it quite a bit this winter. So today was the day I finally got to put some gas in it.it has a predator 6.5 hp 212 cc Engine with a billet aluminum connecting rod,flywheel and new spring. Also put a stage one kit on it .i'm a pretty big guy so I thought all this was necessary.then I put a torque converter on it.this was my very first minibike build.so I gassed it up and pulled the cord.The torque converter is really strong.this thing would climb up a wall no problem.it seems that the torque converter is engaging almost immediately,this was quite terrifying.I was able to hold it by the handlebars and set it into a snowdrift and then hit the kill switch.my question is why does the torque converter immediately engage?it didn't seem like there were any adjustments to be made on this when I installed it? Please help this afternoon was terrifying letdown!! Thanks

2SlickNick

Does sound like idle is to high...

I put TC on one of my minis and demonstrated to my friend how to ride. He pulled out of driveway nice and slow then for some reason he gave it full throttle like I told him not to do... Needless to say that was the 1st time I saw my mini buck someone and then do a flip and land upside down on the seat. Lol

Last edited:
Does sound like idle is to high...

I put TC on one of my minis and demonstrated to my friend how to ride. He pulled out of driveway nice and slow then for some reason he gave it full throttle like I told him not to do... Needless to say that was the 1st time I saw my mini buck someone and then do a flip and land upside down on the seat. Lol
lol :laugh: :laugh: Why don't people listen !

I have been working on it quite a bit this winter. So today was the day I finally got to put some gas in it.it has a predator 6.5 hp 212 cc Engine with a billet aluminum connecting rod,flywheel and new spring. Also put a stage one kit on it .i'm a pretty big guy so I thought all this was necessary.then I put a torque converter on it.this was my very first minibike build.so I gassed it up and pulled the cord.The torque converter is really strong.this thing would climb up a wall no problem.it seems that the torque converter is engaging almost immediately,this was quite terrifying.I was able to hold it by the handlebars and set it into a snowdrift and then hit the kill switch.my question is why does the torque converter immediately engage?it didn't seem like there were any adjustments to be made on this when I installed it? Please help this afternoon was terrifying letdown!! Thanks
Minibikes are cute. I think we forget that these are powerful little things. For exactly this reason, anytime I make a major clutch, idle or jet change, I put the front wheel up to the wall when restarting.

double check the idle, re-check the assembly of the tav
you can install diffrent springs in the front pulley, they will change the rpm engagement, higher or lower rpm engagement,
the rear spring will change the speed/time of the up-shift
i built a fat tire with a stock 7hp, changed front for higher stall, rear for slower up-shift.
which would be great for drags, but dangerous on the trail, would launch hard
I put the tav back to stock, was dangerous
re-check idle and assy