My neighbor just got killed on his go kart less than an hour ago just down the street

I saw him go by a few times at pretty high speed and told my Son to look at how his wheels were shimmying, we heard him go down Tela Drive and he wrecked in the parking lot of the Red Dog Café strip club on NW10th street. My Son heard the impact but I had just started the shower so I did not. The guy had no belt or helmet. A few of us were out playing on our motorsport toys today with near 80 degree weather, it was dark when this man lost his life though and in hindsight he should have put the damn thing up but now I have to say a prayer for him and his family and friends. I'm shocked but not totally surprised, I knew the guy but he was not a friend yet since he had lived there only a short time. May he rest in peace.

Twid

R.I.P. Not to be a jerk but Iv said it befor and I'll say it again rule #1 wear a full face helmet and gloves every time!

Safety is something you have to practice but then again I ride my bikes with no helmet, that is going to change now though. I can ill afford to leave my kids without a dad given they have no mom to speak of, yeah it's time to practice what I preach here. I'm still in near disbelief that this guy was just riding down my street and now he's gone. He hit an old cinder block building sideways from what I could tell, the kart and his body were sideways against it with a tarp over them best they could. Sure is a shame, I wish it hadn't happened but it did. Sorry but I'm freaked out a little here. Be safe everyone.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Sorry to hear Ace, I feel sad for his family and my prayers go out to them. May he rest in peace.

I know what your saying Ace, Most of the time I wear a helmet but, sometimes on a short test ride I don't and I know I should.
I should change my way of thinking.
That short minuet or two it takes to get the helmet and put it on could save your life.

Can't be much left plus a man died on it so it needs to be scrapped intact out of respect and to relieve the family of the burden of looking at it ever again, I would imagine the police had it taken to the impound yard like they would any other vehicle, it needs to be destroyed. A tragic evening and sobering reminder to be careful how you conduct yourself while riding any machine of the sort.
Rip. Not to be insensitive but was there any thing left of the cart?

Last edited:
None of us are at times on these machines and all of us should rethink how we gear up before riding, a safety check of the equipment should be the 1st step and then some safety gear. I've certainly done some reflecting and am looking for a good helmet that will give me visibility and good crash protection.

What really freaked me out at first was that he had been giving his 5yo son a ride on the thing, when they came to my house asking if I knew where the go kart guy lived because he had crashed badly in the RD parking lot I was praying the boy was not with him. He gave him rides on the Harley too and no helmets for either of them, certainly bad judgement was a contributing factor.

I saw today on the news where his friends had painted a memorial and set up candles in his memory. His name was Marvin Jones and he was 37, he leaves behind the 5yo boy and many friends and family members.

Wow sounds like that guy wasn't very smart!

None of us are at times on these machines and all of us should rethink how we gear up before riding, a safety check of the equipment should be the 1st step and then some safety gear. I've certainly done some reflecting and am looking for a good helmet that will give me visibility and good crash protection.

What really freaked me out at first was that he had been giving his 5yo son a ride on the thing, when they came to my house asking if I knew where the go kart guy lived because he had crashed badly in the RD parking lot I was praying the boy was not with him. He gave him rides on the Harley too and no helmets for either of them, certainly bad judgement was a contributing factor.

I saw today on the news where his friends had painted a memorial and set up candles in his memory. His name was Marvin Jones and he was 37, he leaves behind the 5yo boy and many friends and family members.
I agree, sorry Ace I didn't mean to come across like a jerk. This is a tragic story and another reminder that they are called accidents for a reason. Even with all the proper safety gear in place, things can still happen life is strange like that.

Love and prayers to the family.

Twid

I am looking for a good helmet that will give me visibility and good crash protection.
Fullface with a shield. IMO my Simpson bandit is the safest helmet there is, you can't put a price on safety also spend good money on a pair of gloves that fit. Try the helmet and gloves on befor you buy. Poor fitting gear is like not wearing any at all.

toomanytoys

We are all guilty of running with no helmet I'd say, some of us may be better than others in that aspect though. I don't think I've ever wore one except when I was a kid on my minibikes....I do always wear one on my street and trail bikes and on the 4 wheeler.

Sad day. You always think of a go kart as "safe fun"! I guess that goes to show you that anything can be dangerous. Even our little "toys"

Prayers for his family. That poor little boy. Having kids of my own now, I tend to think a lot more about how my decisions and actions effect my children's lives..