My Super Bronc VT-8 Project

I was looking for something to do over the winter. I have played with racing karts and decided maybe a minibike project may be fun.

This is what i started with

Last edited:
I stripped down what little bit i had to work with. removed tires and hubs from wheels and stripped, sanded, primed, painted and clearcoated the wheels. Did the same thing with the wheel hubs.... Replaced the hub bearings and picked up some new tires

Last edited:
next I stripped the frame down to bare metal, primed it, painted it, clearcoat, wet sanded, rubbed and polished it out.......Picked up some new bronze bearings for the forks.... Cleaned and polished the fork shocks and added new grease inside the springs

Next came the fenders....At this point all I had was a rear fender for this bike. I had a vt-7 front fender that I used to practice with.... Picked up a seat from some one local, bought new shocks. Originally I was going to have the fender re chromed but I really couldnt find anyone local who did chroming.... I looked online to see what some others had done with their fenders and kinda copied this Idea.....So, fenders got stripped, primed painted black, then taped off and I sprayed the red stripe and clearcoated them.... I wasnt sure how the stripe was going to turn out so that is where I used the vt-7 fender to practice with..... Oh yeah, I probably broke some child labor law by having my 4 1/2 yr old daughter help me wet sand.

Last edited:
I was still needing a front fender along with an original TAV and my search was not turning up anything......Decided to put wheels on..... then I found a guy who had 3 broncs for sale but he was a little over 5hrs away from me. So I did the 10 hour (round trip) and went to buy them. One was just a frame with fenders ( I gave that to my buddy who wants to restore one), the middle one is a VT-8 with everything I needed (engine doesnt run yet) and the one on the far right is a VT-840......I took the front fender off the middle bike (usine this one as my parts bike) and repeated the same steps i did on the rear fender..... Also picked up a rear fender bracket and hitch from a guy on here who makes them.

Since I had never riden one of these yet I decided to take the vt-840 for a ride last night. These things handle great!!!! I had snow on the road and had no problem blasting right thru it

Last edited:
Nice job and shop.
Thanks Buckeye.....

This is all the further I am right now. I have the tav tore off the parts bike right now and stripped down. I had to order a new set of bearings and a new brake band for it. As soon as those parts arrive the TAV will be ready to go back together...
I have some new handle bars coming from Ron Kimball (awesome guy and very helpful). It may be a bit before the handle bars arrive, apparently Ron is waiting for his circuit board to be fixed for his pipe bender... So for now its time to start ripping into this engine... I have worked on hondas, clones and briggs.....Lets see if I can figure out this tec

Yes that is exactly what they are. (Honda z50 boots) I have a set of originals that are not quite dry rotted but not far from it. The Honda boots are pretty close, not perfect but the closest thing I found

Thanks Leather Nunn.....Today I managed to get TAV and Brake toegether and engine mounted.... I know there are those who are going to not like this, but I ended up putting a mikuni on here... Personally I like the look....Need to weld up a battery holder/box this weeknd for the lights. Did all this and just realized today I dont have any 40/41 chain.... I have a bunch of 35 from karts but nothing for this.

Very nice. I just bought a VT-10 that needs some restoration work. If I may ask, where did you get the rear shocks? Do you have a link to them?

Thanks,
Paul

Very nice. I just bought a VT-10 that needs some restoration work. If I may ask, where did you get the rear shocks? Do you have a link to them?

Thanks,
Paul
I got them at either northern tool or bmi karts. I think i went with bmi karts. They are 12" eye to eye and the originals are 13" eye to eye ( I think) so what I did was just made a new bracket for under the seat and where that bracket hooks to the shocks I just made them 1" longer to make up the difference.
Northern Tool

Shocks & Mounting Hardware : BMI Karts & Supplies : Go Karts Parts : Racing Go Kart Parts : GoKarts : Versailles, Ohio : USA : Indoor Track : Tips