New guy with a Dunecycle, Tecumseh 8hp

Hey there. I've got a Dunecycle with an 8hp Tecumseh engine, from what I've researched so far.
It's been sitting for who know how long but after some simple checks and and external fuel supply it started up pretty well.

It appears to have a Mikuni vm22, governor removed, and maybe an aftermarket exhaust.

To make it rideable it's missing:
- Clutch (ordered a series 20)
- Belt (ordered a series 20 at 2 different lengths)
- Fuel pump (ordered a cheap from Amazon)
- a new rear tire (searching for something cheap at 21X12-8)
- a new right brake cable or just the top barrel
- band brake cable pins (ordered)
- I flushed out the tank with degreaser and vinegar, tank and petcock now working

Let me know if there is any advice with this set up, and how I can expect this to perform!!
Will post pics soon.

Very nice. I'm no expert, but without a governor, those big block Tecs don't like too many rpms. It looks like a great project and that combo should move it pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a Dunecycle 800B.
The exhaust was a aftermarket accessary from Dunecycle. Was not stock with the Mikuni. but the carb does work well. Should have a rebuild able, rectangular Mikuni diaphragm pump.
Wire you are showing is the kill wire.

It is a Dunecycle 800B.
The exhaust was a aftermarket accessary from Dunecycle. Was not stock with the Mikuni. but the carb does work well. Should have a rebuild able, rectangular Mikuni diaphragm pump.
Wire you are showing is the kill wire.
Very cool! Any advice for governing the revs?
I am planning on racing this in a trike event in July.

How fast do you think I can expect this thing to go?

Cuda54

You might need a voltage rectifier to. Is it a electric start? You might need to change it back to the right carb so it does not blow up. And get the governor working to.

Last edited:
All the 8hp came with the lighting coil already on them. the lights were a add on.
We raced them quite a bit and we took the governors out for the modified classes. They had to be in there for stock classes.
Depending on what sprockets you have it should go between 55 and 65. You don't know if there is a cam in it or if the valves have been changed.
When you get ready I have reproduced the seat decals and new seat covers.

I am looking to enter this on a 1/4mi flat track in Castle Rock , WA.
The race is just for fun and has no rules around mods, but I wanted to get your opinions on tires. What holds up well on these things and is not too expensive?

Current balloon knobbies are 21x12-8.
I believe the front is a 6in wheel.

Thanks.

You lucked out on your dunecycle..you have a cool model with all the goodies. That 8hp tecumseh will have no problems providing you with enough power and should be a good race contender. Since yours is so clean, I would make efforts to keep it as close to stock if possible. Any mods should be able to be un-moddable. It will be worth more in the long run and still provide plenty of power.

You lucked out on your dunecycle..you have a cool model with all the goodies. That 8hp tecumseh will have no problems providing you with enough power and should be a good race contender. Since yours is so clean, I would make efforts to keep it as close to stock if possible. Any mods should be able to be un-moddable. It will be worth more in the long run and still provide plenty of power.
Sounds great! I'm getting close to being able to test drive it. No experience with what kind of power these have so I'm excited. Stay tuned!

hey folks. I've received all my parts and have it together. However, the belt was really difficult to get on so I wanted to get some feedback on my setup, as I don't have a way to reduce/adjust the belt tension.

Also want to confirm the driven pulley will work in this orientation. Most applications I've seen these has the driven pulley facing the other direction. Haven't rev'd it yet to test it... afraid to snap the belt ;)

IMG_2642 copy.jpg
IMG_2636.JPG

With Both units being 20 series the two movable faces must be opposite each other like you have it now as far as the belt I am missing my Comet book to give you the proper center to center distance for that belt the measurements are very critical to top performance.

Here's what I referenced for the belt size, got this from gokartsupply.com
I have also tried one size larger and it appears to have way too much slack and rubs against the gas tank.

Also, my drive pulley has no "wedding ring" between the belt and the shaft. Is that normal for a series 20?
Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 2.18.05 PM.png