Official db30 stock top speed.

cxbra

I got an official reading, thanks to CHP hahaha. I saw one of those radar displays (un-manned cph radar) on my way home from work and thought I would get a crack at it once it got dark.

Logic tells you, if there is one of those set up then there are probably cops near by. Check. So I take the long way there, throug h the neighborhoods about 1/2 a mile away. So the cleanest of two runs was 25 mph. Its nice to know the "no-bs" stock speed.

Problem was, a cop must have seen my speed run because after I was checking for cops going for my second run I saw a car going super slow (21mph chp indicated lol) and I knew it was a cop. He wasnt on his brakes and he was going that slow, COP!!!! So I hit the next neighborhood and cool of for 10 minutes. Who do I see drive right past me (I was in tucked behind some bushes), some rookie lookin cop w/ a pissed off look on his face. LOL, it was gold!!! I proceed to fire up Rhonda (my DB30) and make my way home.. I saw him again driving down the main road by my house like 2 minutes later it was toooo funny.:weld:

a.k.a. fucc the police :thefinger:

vette66_00

GPS is way better than a unmanned and when was it calibrated school zone speed trap. 28.5 ungoverned GPS. You cant BS satellites.

Good story though for sure. It's all fun and games until the cops show up.

Last edited:
Love the cop stories!!

Due to budget cuts, the cops wont even come out for nuisance calls like me riding my 2 db30s up and down the trail by my house. :thefinger:

And just the other day I was doing laps in my court, and a cop drove by, looked right at me......and just kept on going. keep in mind I live in Cali, in the freakin bay area, and I was wearing no helmet, and some flip flops. I was askin for it. maybe I just got lucky! Who knows!?:eek:ut:

vette66_00

Love the cop stories!!

Due to budget cuts, the cops wont even come out for nuisance calls like me riding my 2 db30s up and down the trail by my house. :thefinger:

And just the other day I was doing laps in my court, and a cop drove by, looked right at me......and just kept on going. keep in mind I live in Cali, in the freakin bay area, and I was wearing no helmet, and some flip flops. I was askin for it. maybe I just got lucky! Who knows!?:eek:ut:
Its totally the same here. I used to run my RC cars/trucks and gopeds out front and I had them called a couple times. Now I can run the DB open exhaust for a couple hours and no cops show up. Its either the grumpy neighbor moved or the cops don't respond to low priority calls anymore.

i realized yesterday that the cops around here don't really care. i'm right by the Concord Naval Weapons station and there are Military Police and Sheriffs all over. i was ripping around with the open header yesterday (they could easily see me in spots) and none of them did anything.

i've seen people playing with dirt bikes and shifter karts on the streets here too. some kid rode by our place on a DB one afternoon as well. :laugh:

Up here in Canada the cops are real buggers about it but im sure its because my mini is so loud with a three-stage candy cane muffler and no silencer. Ive had 2-3 encounters with the cops but they havent been able to catch me yet! I take my mini to this place i call a paradise because its a giant subdivision with NO houses in it yet but has 10 miles of paved streets weaving all through it... heaven for a minibiker.

Haha, nice story.

This last summer my cousin was visiting me, and we buddied up on the stock db30 motor, no governor, and cruised all over town, even went through a burger king drive-thru.

We probably didn't make the smartest choice(lol) by taking it down the sidewalk in downtown next to all the shops where there was tons of people. But yeah, weaving in and out of people was fun, ahaha...but I'm pretty sure some nagging old battle axe with nothing better to do; called the popo on us...

So we were crossing an intersection, and sure enough old piggie was staring us down from the other side. My cousin says to me as we don't even look at the patrol car, "He's gonna pull our dumb-asses over." So he does, gets out of his car; he's an older dude and he was like "Oh hey, I remember those mini bikes, I had one when I was a kid!" He was inspecting the bike and stuff, he's all "Man that's a small motor, that thing pulls both of ya?" he said "Yeah, I wouldntve pulled you boys over if I saw you, but we got a complaint...

and he showed us a butt-load of charges we couldve been facing; I started sweating bullets.

But in the end, he told us to have fun walking it home... :thumbsup:​

Cop story.

When we were shooting a BB gun in a canyon we left in a fiat X19 and saw a patrol car coming in the opposite direction. It was nightfall. My friend nailed it and the chase was on. I was not nearly that brave. It was my BB gun and it might of gotten left behind as we saw the police and scrammed. He pulled over in some bushes and turned the lights off and we watched the police drive by shining the spotlight around. As soon as they passed us he fired up the car and we went the opposite way. What an ordeal. A few beers, and a BB gun and cops mad as all hell.. those were the days I do not regret!

TT out! :thumbsup:

just yesterday I was able to get my stock DB to 23 unassisted.

then my friend and his 50mph minibike gave me a bit of a push, and we topped 30! haha...

so, how do you remove the damn governer? also, mine wont run without the choke all the way closed, any ideas?

Choke halfway closed. Been there done that. I would remove the float and check the jets. Try bouncing the rear tire on the ground to loosen up some debre.

If it runs well with the opening halfway, it will run better full open. So, float boll, dirt in jets. Give me some help here guys I have seen this before and also try 92 octane fuel..

I need assastance on this one!

TT Out!

i have to run mine with the choke 100% closed! lol :confused:

ill take some advice too! not that i plan on using the 2.8 for very long. my 5hp briggs will be on there shortly, just waiting for the clutch to arrive.

anyone know and good ways to blow up the stock motor? haha

or for some horrible reason, does anyone want mine before i destroy it?

Sounds to me like the jets are clogged up. Pull it apart and check for debris in the jet or idle circuit.

On blowing it up just run it hard once you set the governor wide open. There are a couple threads with that info. Search for DB and governor.
You can get about $50 on ebay for it. They also make good trimmer motors.

Closed choke

You might check the gasket between carb and mainifold or engine block for cracks or loose mounting bolts some of the newer gasket materails are pretty cheesy good luck

I have a stock DB30 Baja Blitz. I put a pretty acurate speedometer on it I purchased off from ebay. It says I am doing 30-31 MPH. My 60 LBS boy can get it up to 35 MPH. That is un-governed with the throttle adjustment screw nearly fully extended. The only thing new is a 15 in back tire instead of the 14.5 in that came on it. Anybody else getting this kind of speed out of their stock DB? :thumbsup:

cxbra

I have a stock DB30 Baja Blitz. I put a pretty acurate speedometer on it I purchased off from ebay. It says I am doing 30-31 MPH. My 60 LBS boy can get it up to 35 MPH. That is un-governed with the throttle adjustment screw nearly fully extended. The only thing new is a 15 in back tire instead of the 14.5 in that came on it. Anybody else getting this kind of speed out of their stock DB? :thumbsup:
Im not, and you're not either haha. Something is wrong in your speedo calibration, a bigger tire (and only by .5") wont give you that much more top-end. Now if you had a smaller sproket, that would be a different story, but also the stock clutch would really get a molesting!

You may be right. But, I am a pretty detailed guy. I calibrated the speedo using the exact centimeters of the circumference of the front tire. Based upon how fast I am moving, I am pretty sure it is accurate. You probably know more of the technical stuff on these bikes so I'll take your word for it that they won't go that fast. I will say that the thing is pretty wrapped out and I get a strange noise that I've yet to figure out. Maybe it's the clutch. Never thought of that. Oh, and I think I meant to say that the govenor is still in tact. Not "un-governed." I'm not sure on the sproket size. The bike was purchased new in late March this year. Would that tell me something about the sprocket size? :scooter:

I think stock speed not messing with it was 18 on ours.

You may be right. But, I am a pretty detailed guy. I calibrated the speedo using the exact centimeters of the circumference of the front tire. Based upon how fast I am moving, I am pretty sure it is accurate. You probably know more of the technical stuff on these bikes so I'll take your word for it that they won't go that fast. I will say that the thing is pretty wrapped out and I get a strange noise that I've yet to figure out. Maybe it's the clutch. Never thought of that. Oh, and I think I meant to say that the govenor is still in tact. Not "un-governed." I'm not sure on the sproket size. The bike was purchased new in late March this year. Would that tell me something about the sprocket size? :scooter:
MXMatt If you have a GPS try holding it while riding and look at your max speed. That is going to be your only true speed measurement.

Hopefully my post didn't sound like some Johnny Come Lately trying to brag. I'm just going off what my speedo says. I don't have a GPS, but I have and iPhone and I think I can purchase an APP that does that. Maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks for the feed back and insight. I love my little bike. Still cruising around the neighborhood with my 2 year old everyday. :thumbsup: