Open Class: Clayon's DB30 Redo....again

Well I picked up my paint the other day.

I got my Princess Auto sale flyer today and they have 10 gallon portable sandblasters on sale, so I phoned the closest store and had them hold one for me so I can pick it up Saturday. Then I'll get the DB30 frame blasted and ready for paint, but that probably won't be until next week since I am buying a 1974 Roloflex 400 snowmobile from my boss. I will be getting that sled in working order for a vintage sled derby I will be entering on the 19th. He gave me a good deal so I couldn't say no ($100!). :thumbsup:

We are waiting lol
I bought some of that colorshop paint too , havnt tried it yet lol too bad the laquer clear coat isn't fuel proof but I may try some ppg clear over it as I know it's safe for tanks

Sorry for the wait, but I got to tinkering, and next thing you know the thing fired up and starting perring like a kitten! :biggrin: So I took it for a spin around the yard. I never took pics of it outside since it is dark and the head light isn't hooked up right now. It still needs a thorough cleaning and some TLC but I can't complain. Nothing like the sound of a 2-stroke. Here are the other pics. :thumbsup:

1974 Roloflex Apache 400 (Yamaha 396cc engine)

We are waiting lol
I bought some of that colorshop paint too , havnt tried it yet lol too bad the laquer clear coat isn't fuel proof but I may try some ppg clear over it as I know it's safe for tanks
Ya, I used it for my 'skeeter and it worked really well, even the clear, it is pretty simple since it's all mixed up and the directions are right on the can, it is even pretty durable. :thumbsup:

can't beat that for 100 bucks if it runs and drives.
gunna restore it or just clean it up?
looks like it's all there

you kinda hijacked your own thread :laugh:

Ya I kinda did, I was trying to distract you guys so you wouldn't realize just how little I've down so far, but Rob is too smart. :laugh: I'm not going to restore this sled now since I got enough on my plate, but maybe in a year or so, it is a nice sled, and had lots of zip, it runs like a scalded cat, and will get to 50mph really quick.

We are getting a decent snow storm today that is supposed to continue until tomorrow night or saturday so I will get some work done on my bikes, I'm kinda just waiting to get the sandblaster so I can paint. :thumbsup:

I got the sandblaster. :thumbsup: But.....I got the flu so I will be held up for a bit. My fever broke but then I got a relapse after going back out to assemble the sandblaster. :censure:

that's a nice addition to your shop. It's a good feeling knowing you don't have to take your projects somewhere else to get sand blasted and can keep it all in house. Nice Project.

Well I've been sick with the flu since saturday night, it finally broke yesterday and I started feeling better, and now today my lymph nodes are swollen so I'm supposed to not do much and then go to the doctor's tomorrow since I can't get in today. :doah: Looks like my project might be on hold for a bit. Damn I hate being sick. :sad:

Take care of yourself Clay
A word of caution about sandblasting
Get a good resperator or even better a hood with mask it is really bad for the lungs
Play safe

Well still I got no work done on the bikes, yesterday was the vintage sled derby and my sled was only ready the night before. :doah: But it made the derby, no issues, I climbed some nice hills in the valley, tipped too many times to count, played around in some nice powder, and I never had to get towed back so it was a good day. Despite of what I said earlier, as soon as I get this bike and my 'Skeeter done my sled is getting a restoration so it looks a little prettier next year. :thumbsup:

No I never got any good derby pics because the camera on my phone wasn't working for me, but I believe a couple of the people I went with have some pics on their Iphones I wanna get, and I'll post those when I get them. There were some nice old sleds that I haven't seen before like a Boa Ski, Arleburg, Auto Ski Midget, as well as some really nice Skiroule racing sleds. All the sleds on the derby were 1980 and older.