Open Class: Clayon's DB30 Redo....again

Don't worry, I'm gonna be making an OldMiniBikes order pretty soon here, and I am planning to start sandblasting this weekend and maybe even paint. :thumbsup:

I got a new plan for the motor, instead of that copper Briggs I will be using a I/C bore 5hp Briggs that I have. I figure that I may as well use a better block if I am gonna be spending the money on billet parts for it. :thumbsup:

old-timer

Scamming Member
Plenty of time Clay so don't sweat it :thumbsup:
I agree with using the IC motor seeing that you already have it. I want to build one myself hopefully in the spring. Trying to find a good IC or maybe a Raptor to build up.

Vic

Yeah Vic, I would love to build a nice raptor but my money is spread amongst a bunch of projects are the moment. I hope to be sandblasting this weekend. :thumbsup:

old-timer

Scamming Member
Yeah Vic, I would love to build a nice raptor but my money is spread amongst a bunch of projects are the moment. I hope to be sandblasting this weekend. :thumbsup:
I hear ya my friend, I'm in the same boat myself :shrug: I've already got twice the money invested in my build off bike than I expected , but that's just how it goes. You get to the point that you just want it the way you want it regardless . I think we all are guilty of this :laugh: Just part of the addiction.

Vic

Ya no kidding. I always buy bikes thinking that I'll just put a strong motor on them then ride, but then I paint them, buy some extras, and hop up the motor. :laugh:

Anyways, I got the I/C this summer by never really touched it. I had it running tonight but the compression is really low, I can feel it when I spin the flywheel over by hand. So, I will be giving it a rebuild, and while it is all apart I will sandblast the block, sidecover, and head so I can paint it copper. I am getting a float bowl carb and manifold from TRK for it so I will be putting a frame mount tank on the bike as well. :thumbsup:

At least you have a plan or at least know what you want to do. I didn't realize how exhausting it would be trying to engineer and build something from scratch and then kick yourself in the butt @ 100 hrs later in the build when something needs to be reworked.

You're doing a great job, and this whole build organization is exactly what I needed in my life right now (maybe a mid-life thing for me, lol). Thank you for what you have put together here. I couldn't find any history on the buildoff but interested if there is a link somewhere. ( ie, how many years this has been going on, what brought on the idea to start, etc.)

thank you, great job!
Joe

Thanks Joe. :thumbsup: I'm not sure on any build off history, I believe they did one a few years ago before I joined the site, then there was one last year, and now this year.

Well, my air compressor is having issues so I can't sandblast. :doah: So I'm taking the stuff I need done and can't do as well with a wire/3M wheel to the sandblaster Thursday. He says that he will wait a bit until he has a bunch to do so that he can do it all in one shot and it will save me some cash. :thumbsup: Anyway, after that I will be in bussiness again. I'm hoping to paint the motor in the next day or two, since I sanded the block by hand since I can't sandblast. :doah:

Happy building guys. :thumbsup:

Well I got my parts back from the sandblaster today, pics tomorrow. Besides that I ordered all the gaskets and rings to rebuild the I/C 5hp B&S that's going on this bike.

I also got 5 piston/rings/wrist pins sets for those I/C Briggs motors I got to rebuild for those lawn aerators, by the end of that I will be a pro and tearing down and rebuilding 3hp B&S motors. These things really cut into my minibike shop time, but since I can sell them for around $1000 a piece in my area it's worth it in the end.

I have to say that I have the best small engine shop 45minutes from me, Band City Small Engine (www.bandcitysmallengine.com). The guy who runs the place, Dale, is a really good guy, will go out of his way to help you out, and is very knowledgeable. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

old-timer

Scamming Member
Well I got my parts back from the sandblaster today, pics tomorrow. Besides that I ordered all the gaskets and rings to rebuild the I/C 5hp B&S that's going on this bike.

I also got 5 piston/rings/wrist pins sets for those I/C Briggs motors I got to rebuild for those lawn aerators, by the end of that I will be a pro and tearing down and rebuilding 3hp B&S motors. These things really cut into my minibike shop time, but since I can sell them for around $1000 a piece in my area it's worth it in the end.

I have to say that I have the best small engine shop 45minutes from me, Band City Small Engine (http://www.bandcitysmallengine.com). The guy who runs the place, Dale, is a really good guy, will go out of his way to help you out, and is very knowledgeable. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Well the DB30 is painted. It doesn't look that good in the picture, but in person it is more of a candy. For the paint booth deal, my dad made a 2x4 frame and we hung it from the mezanine in the shop and hung plastic around it to try to keep some of the paint from gettting all over everything, and it worked. :thumbsup:

Happy wrenching guys. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
sounds like another creative solution for the home shop. Some day technology may be able to keep up with us trying to photoshoot our paint jobs or maybe it's just good lighting that we lack. :thumbsup:

good to see ya back at it clay :thumbsup:
looks good.good idea with the plastic
when i paint i always wet the floor alittle too
keeps the overspray from stickin to it and keeps the dust down