Powell Bro Serial Numbers List

This post doesn't have anything to do with Powell serial numbers but I thought it would be of interest to some.
Thanks Steve Durham for this awesome review:thumbsup:

george3

Kind of blurry. the seat frame looks different than the challenger is it wider? I need to make one tomorrow, can I get the sizes, if they are wider than the challenger?

Kind of blurry. the seat frame looks different than the challenger is it wider? I need to make one tomorrow, can I get the sizes, if they are wider than the challenger?
If you go to the photo section under Powell you should get a better picture.
As for the seat 8Ball has an original as he stated in a previous thread.
He has all the info I suggest you take a number when you enter the door cause I have NO. 02 in my hot lil hands....:thumbsup:

george3

I am talking about the seat metal frame it looks wider than the challenger. I need to make that metal frame tomorrow. If its wider I don't want to copy the frame. the design looks different than the older bikes. could I get a pic, and dimensions.

Last edited:

george3

Holey crap figures, I have the steel for the copy of the chalenger. looks like they didnt go with the long strip on the top just a couple squares. Is it the same size steel. this is just gitting too tuff. I need a complete bike to copy.

george3

what is the 4"x 5" plate of steel for? And how thick is the 1 1/2 steel. the challenger is easier to build. the front looks to be close to 45 degree the rear looks 110 degree. the lines on the fence helps with the radious of the bends. looks like 1/4 steel and 3/16 on the angle iron and 4x5 plate or maybe 1/8 in? Shure would be easy to copy with the piece setting on the bench.

Powell serial #

I have been away for the forum for a while and just saw the posts about the Powells. Steve Duram sent me a message that brought my attention to it.
My Powells serial # is 5302F.

btr

Here's an update:
Got an email from Alan Powell.
This is what he had to say..

I looked up your serial #’s for some preliminary info so here goes;

1352-B Sold on 7/10/68 and built on the same day.

2289-C Now this is a rare one. I always knew the Powell Bikes were hot-I used to race them at Saddleback Park in Orange County, Ca., but this one was literally “hot” it was stolen on 12/13/69 (an early Christmas present) as well as serial # 2292-C. Quick, run out and dust for prints! It was built on 12/5/68 1 of 7 built that day.

2575-D Sold on 3/4/69 and built that same day. 1 of 9

2611-D Sold on 3/8/69 1 of 10 sold to Scooterville. Built on 3/7/69

2899-D Sold on 4/11/69 and built the same day 1 of 16

5054-E Sold on 3/25/70 and built on 3/12/70 1 of 10

5255-E Sold on 5/7/70 to Rent-a-Cycle and built on 5/6/70

6787-JL Sold on 11/24/71 and built on….6/31/71 One of fifteen bikes built that day. Most were model M’s or J’s. Your’s was the only JL. This is one we probably used as a personal bike or for testing as it was not sold until Nov. I probably rode that bike as I was really the only one who test rode the bikes.

6879-L Sold on 8/12/71 to Cycle Town and built on 8/11/71 1 of 3

6971-MO Sold on 9/30/71 built on 9/23/71 1 of 5

I'm making a form to make it easy for Alan to fill in the blanks for the rest of the serial numbers that have been graciously provided.