Predator non-hemi Carb Help

Good Evening Everyone,

I am looking for some troubleshooting help with using a stock carb on a modified preadator engine.

First, this is not on a minibike, but a motorized bicycle that I race occasionally here in southern california. The rules for this engine are stock rod, stock piston, 18lb. springs, stock cam, governor removed, stock valves, custom header, billet flywheel, custom intake, but stock carb. I currently have the 18lb. springs, ARC adjustable finless flywheel set to 8 degree advance, governor removed, straight 1" pipe exhaust with RLV muffler, and a custom intake manifold that incorporates the stock black plastic spacer between the carb and the intake manifold.

I originally was using the stock carb with stock pilot jet, but switched out the emulsion tube with a GX140 tube and a 36 main jet. With this set-up I get a good idle and no hesitation in all rpm ranges, but lacks a little on the top end. I then purchased an ARC stock carb bored to .625" with a 22 pilot and a 35 main jet. On this carb the bike has a very uneven idle bordering on the engine stopping. The 1/8 - 1/4 range of throttle also has hesitation/missing. On WOT the bike takes off like a bat out of hell and works much better than the stock carb that is not bored.

I am asking if anyone has ideas for getting it to idle correctly and not hesitate at low throttle. I first changed the main jet to 38 but not much change. I also drilled the pilot jet out to the equivalent of a 25 pilot, but still did not really remedy the idle/low throttle problem.

I am using the same stock black plastic spacer between the carb and the intake manifold, but I wonder if that is contributing to the problem. I could not get the stock carb to run without the spacer.

Thank you in advance for any advice,

Gilbert

Attachments

nice... question tho did you have to put an oil splash plate for the oil when you turn the motor at that angle.
I'm not sure what you mean by a splash plate, but I did not add anything internally to help with oiling. What I did do was put more oil in crankcase (20 oz.) so that the oil dipper on the rod can reach the oil. I also ran the vent hose on the valve cover to a catch can.

Gilbert

Sounds like your jetting should be about right...for that bigger carb..are you sure that all the gaskets are in there right position ?

Sounds like your jetting should be about right...for that bigger carb..are you sure that all the gaskets are in there right position ?
Thanks for the response. Yes, the jetting seems like it would be right. I did check all the gaskets, and like I said, I swapped out this built carb for my stock carb using the same gaskets and plastic spacer, and with the stock carb at stock pilot jet and 36 main it runs pretty good, idles perfect, goes through the rpm range without hesitation, just lacks a little at the top end compared to the built carb.

I have ordered a set of pilot jets to swap out and see if a larger pilot might smooth out the idle. Even with the funky-could-stall-at-any-moment idle, I think I will still use the built carb for the upcoming race, its just pulls a lot harder with the built carb.

Here's a full length pic of the bike, just for interest.

Gilbert

Attachments

Wow, that bike is sweet. Tell us more about it! Is it a full custom build? Is it 100 years old? Looks like it. Can it be made street legal?

What kind of speeds are you getting out of it?

Awesome. Just awesome....

Wow, that bike is sweet. Tell us more about it! Is it a full custom build? Is it 100 years old? Looks like it. Can it be made street legal?

What kind of speeds are you getting out of it?

Awesome. Just awesome....
Hi,
Yes, this was a custom build. It took me almost 2 years to complete, working mostly nights after my kids' bedtime. I used a vintage prewar girls bike frame, but only the head tube, seat post, and parts of the rear triangle remain original. I made a new top tube, looped down tube, and cross bar. I laced a Honda cb100 drum hub into the front rim to get stopping power, and I laced a vintage Morrow coaster brake hub into the back rim. Both rims are worksman heavy duty with 10 gauge spokes. I made the gas tank and motor mount, as well as the battery box behind the seat post.
It is street legal, it has pedals, so it is licensed as a moped in California with a top allowable speed of 30mph. On the race track it will reach the high 40's on a long straight.

Gilbert