press charges ?

ok heres the deal this morning i discover some lowlife s.o.b. had dumped a whole pickup load of garbage over the hill on my property, i live in the country . so i decide to call the cops and tell the cop im going to go thru it till i find something with an address, man it was nasty and raining but my daughter spotted a prescription bottle it had mame and address on it. i recognize the last name its the son of a guy i was friends with way back in high school the family is ruind from drug abuse. i figure i wont press charges as long as they clean it up. since they have enough trouble already, question is am i being a sucker?

My nephews once wanted to borrow the luggage trailer but it had some construction material and trash in it. And the pair of numb-skulls were given the money to pay the dump fee.
But they thought they found a lot to dump it into. Well I got a call from an angry land owner and it was not even in my state. Well my nephews were sent out and made to clean up the entire acreage over 300% of what they illegally dumped. They lost the righs to use that trailer forever.
Steve :scooter:

Illegal dumping sucks, they do it on my lots next door that are not fenced in. On my damn minibike track and trails! I reported the dumping on my 2 acres next door and they wrote me the ticket since I own the land. I built a spike strip and laid it down after dark and one evening heard a vehicle clanking and banging away so I went around the corner and saw a sofa and chair on my lot, so they got some bigtime flats. That was a nasty thing to run over and it stayed in the tire, I made damn sure it would and it likely caused body damage judging by the noise.:devil2:

I'd still call your local Sheriff and not confront the people, probably not the most educated or welcoming folks and you may have a confrontation. Best to let them deal with it.:thumbsup:

I'd have a hard time not going and scattering the trash all over their yard myself.
but of course thats not right and you would probably get in trouble.
good luck with whatever you decide.

Get them to clean it up. If they refuse, call the cops.
Yep. Tell 'em you would rather not call the cops on them and then need to clean it up. Bad attitude at the other end of the conversation, then call the cops on 'em.

Thing is to give them a chance to make it right. If they refuse, drop the hammer.

Last edited:
Yep. Tell 'em you would rather not call the cops on them and then need to clean it up. Bad attitude at the other end of the conversation, then call the cops on 'em.

Thing is to give them a chance to make it right. If they refuse, drop the hammer.
Best solution right there.

I agree, give them a chance to clean it up and if that goes bad let the cops deal with it.
Most likely they will clean it up instead of having to deal with the police again but then they will probably just dump it on someone elses property.

Taking a load of trash to the landfill/transfer station around here costs $50 bucks a load and the wife and I have taken over 8000 lbs. there in the last 2 years and feel great knowing it went where it should have.
We actually get a kick out of seeing just how much in weight of trash we just dumped, our biggest single load was around 1500 lbs.

jrzmac

i figure i wont press charges as long as they clean it up. since they have enough trouble already, question is am i being a sucker?
I would take the bottle to the address and talk to the guy you used to know. tell him what happened, and that all you want is them to clean it up! no cops involved, just get it done. and if not, then I would go to the cops. and tell them you went over there nice, and they didn't clean it. then it's outta your hands. let the cops deal with it! or you could do it the way they do in Jersey! go over there with a bat and take matters into you're own hands...:hammer:

zeeman

I had a similar problem with land I owned in Alabama, except someone had actually moved into the house that was on the property. My wife and I went there on the weekends to just relax, shoot at targets, and ride 4 wheelers etc. I called the sheriff, and let him deal with it while I was there. The deputy caught the young fellow, and let me give him a piece of my mind, then arrested him. I feel bad about it to this day. I was probably a little too rough with my words. I guess what I'm saying is, be careful how you do whatever you decide to do. This family you are dealing with might retaliate by damaging your property even worse. I realize your anger, I was extremely mad, and I don't usually get mad at all, but just think it through. I don't think approaching them alone to ask them to clean it up is a good idea, but you don't want to feel like you are being taken advantage of either. I think it's best to get the sheriff to contact them and not even say that you were the one who reported it. You can't be too careful these days. Let the law take care of the situation in a way that gets your land cleaned up and keeps them out of jail. Sounds like they will probably do something to wind up in jail sooner or later anyway. Just my thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide.

update

the cops finally locate the kid 18 yrs. old he says he was in the mountains all week end hunting and doesnt know anything about it the cop says he sounded sincere, then the kid says he will clean it up because he feels so bad because his name was involved :laugh: i'll feel bad about pissing all over the garbage tonight :evil_laughter:

TomH

I thought it might turn out like that. "I don't know anything about it"..lie and alibi. He sounds like he saved face for what he did. At least you will get it cleaned up hopefully, and don't have to worry about them coming back at ya. I live beside a lake, and over the years have had to deal with many drunk, out of their mind people. Death threats, gona burn ya out, on and on..I'm still here paying property taxes..and cleaning up your crap you leave on the beach

the cops finally locate the kid 18 yrs. old he says he was in the mountains all week end hunting and doesnt know anything about it the cop says he sounded sincere, then the kid says he will clean it up because he feels so bad because his name was involved :laugh: i'll feel bad about pissing all over the garbage tonight :evil_laughter:

Ata boy , I admire people with a sick sense of humor like mine LOL

I second the motion and yield the rest of my time to the Distingiushed Gentleman that's soon to be pissing.