Project ghetto snowbird... Arco

R

rustybike

I bought this frame off craigslist only because I had enough spare parts to complete it and I needed a minibike to beat on during the winter. I would have restored it but the previous owner welded the handle bars down and removed the engine plate and put two metal bars going across. Just not worth the time and welding to restore it.. I had a spare old 3hp Briggs engine, snowblower rims with nice big knobby tires, throttle & cable and a few other things. I'm gonna paint it tomorrow but here's the pic of how it sits now. It did come with the rear shocks, seat and front wheel.but no rear wheel. I don't have a bolt yet for the rear wheel so that's why its sitting like that.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rustybike

Haha I stole that pic from Google but I do plan on jumping some fire in the woods by my house while there is still snow on the ground.

I got the frame cleaned and painted. I still need one more coat though. It looks like a light blue in the pic but its teal in person. I have a pic of the color paint I used. The rims and shocks are gonna be silver. Its all leftover paint from another project. I'm gonna get the wheels installed today so its at least a roller.

Attachments

R

rustybike

Here's the two wheels I'm trying to use. They don't have bearing so I'm not sure how crappy the ride will be. I'm gonna put some heavy duty Lucas grease on the inside and on the bolt. The wheels are from a snowblower and I was about to throw them out even though the tires look new. This pic is of one rim that was cleaned, quick wet sand and paint. The other rim still needs to be cleaned and painted. I got a little over spray on the tire but I will use sandpaper to get that off.

Attachments

R

rustybike

Thanks for the tip Street Smart, I have some carb cleaner in the basement so I will do that.

Haha I stole that pic from Google but I do plan on jumping some fire in the woods by my house while there is still snow on the ground.

I got the frame cleaned and painted. I still need one more coat though. It looks like a light blue in the pic but its teal in person. I have a pic of the color paint I used. The rims and shocks are gonna be silver. Its all leftover paint from another project. I'm gonna get the wheels installed today so its at least a roller.
Now that's my kind of color. Love it Rusty!

Doc

R

rustybike

Hey Doc, thanks for checking out my build thread. :scooter:

I got the wheels painted now. I just found an old doodle bug fender and I'm gonna make a bracket to use for the rear tire. I still need a front fender and a gas tank. I plan on installing the engine plate tomorrow. Once I get this thing finished I will take it outside and get a good picture.

Attachments

R

rustybike

You painted it before the engine plate installed??

Looks real cool. I like the color.
I'm bolting the engine plate down to those cross bars for now. 2 in front and 2 in back so I can ride it asap. I will have my friend weld it up but I know hes been very busy lately.

R

rustybike

I would drill some grease fittings on those wheels and keep a grease gun handy! Those bushings won't hold up for very long:doah:
I found 4 wheel bearing in a box of spare parts yesterday. When I put them up to the center of the rims they have the same OD as the tubes going through the rims. I will post a pic tomorrow to better show what I mean. I should be able to use the wheel bearing though.

Today I got the sprocket cleaned and painted silver. Kinda hard to get a pic of the stuff I painted silver because of the camera flash..

Attachments

R

rustybike

Looking good...I like that color combo.
Thanks papa deuce, I can't wait to see that bike your building when its done.

Well here's the rear shocks. They were grey and black now the spring is silver and both ends are blue. I'm looking into painting the seat black. I'm gonna get some vinyl spray paint from home depot. I'm not sure if the seat is real leather or not. The cover isn't ripped but it has some scratches but Im not digging the color red.

Attachments

R

rustybike

I got a little more done today. The bolt holes for the shocks were threaded but the bolts were too short. The nut was only halfway on when I removed them. I had new bolts, nuts and locking washers from a different project so I drilled out the holes and installed these. Only have one left to do. I dont have a drill bit big enough for the rear wheel bolt otherwise that wheel would be mocked up.

Attachments

R

rustybike

Thanks buckeye. But if this was a minibike I was keeping I would have done a better job. Like the over spray on the tires and the engine plate would have been welded up first. Its just a beater made from spare parts. The foot pegs are like 3" inch long but I didn't notice til today when I took the grips off them that were put on by the previous owner. I will get pipe from home depot to make new ones.

R

rustybike

i went to home depot and bought a 1' ft long piece of steel pipe that's 1" 1/4 and a steel flange that threads onto it. The sprocket I'm using was a spare that came with a cat minibike I bought. It had light surface rust but looked almost new. The center bore of the sprocket fit the flange perfect after I went over it with the grinder twice real quick. I still need to drill out four new holes in the flange for the sprocket since the ones on the flange are off by a little too much. I will get it welded up when my buddy gets a chance.

Front wheels done too. They all have real bearings now.

Attachments