rebuilding my kids mini CCS Charger

More Paint

I'm so stinking proud of my kid. She really did a nice job on her paint work. It really came out nice. We cleared the hell out of it. It looks sharp, almost wet looking with some depth to it.
It's hard to capture the real color but the close up are close to what it looks like. We put the forks and swing arm on it. She wants a white seat with purple piping. So then I mentioned white grips and peg grips in white. With a white Tecumseh of course. So that looks like what where going with.:scooter:

I welded washers on the top and bottom crown.

This shows the color pretty well

Well we got the old fender cleaned up the best we could, and also cleaned and painted the sliders for the forks. We are going to use acorn nuts on everything, just to add a little *bling* for her.
I'm thinking Bonanza type shocks on the rear? Or a inexpensive equivalent? I think the slender type shock would add to the overall look of the bike. So I need to see what I can come up with. And also I'm deciding on what engine I will use? 35 or a 40? She thought purple neons would be cool and I have a lighted HS40????????? At some point I need to put my foot down.LOL.. But it's coming along.........:scooter::scooter::scooter:

Ok, here is the clearance I ended up with, it's going to have to work. This is a total of 2" drop in the fender. If I bottom out the front springs it just hits, so it should be fine. I'm glad I took the time to redo it, a second time.

The paint looks good, and a cool color. Almost lavender. You may as well let her have the HS40 and some neon lights underneath. Spoil her now. You only get to raise her once, and when you get old and broke down, she'll have to take care of you. Fond memories couldn't hurt.

what kind of brake handle are you using? i found some nice aluminum brake handles that have real nice cable travel in them. more then the vintage 5inch and 6inch. kind of wondering maybe this type of brake handle will work better? basically the same style that is on the db minibikes.
Well on this bike we always had a old cherry that's 4 or 5 inches, real small. But the brakes on this bike always performed well. On my wards I went with a big lever just because it matched the overall largeness of the bike. I was looking and the band on Allison's bike has a lot of metallic in it. I wonder if that's the difference? Just a better lining? Of course I'm sure weight has something to do with it as-well. I found a junk Gilson up at my Dads on Saturday and it happens to have half of the org. brake set up. The part I'll show works as the axle spacer and the band mount, I'll also put up one of scooterboys photos showing the 2nd. part of it.
My Brake Lever:

Gilson/Wards Brake anchor you can envision the pin sliding through the lower part of the band:

Scooterboys Gilson I'm guessing the lower part of that lever pivots on that same pin? And then pulls it from the top:

delray

ok randy i kind of see how the factory unit works. i wish you had more detail pictures of it mounted. it almost looks like it would be not to hard to make:thumbsup:
brake handle level you have posted works good. i use a small 5inch brake handle on another project and did not have much luck with 4 1/2 drum set up. just not enough cable travel to make the shoes travel out...............can't stop.......................................
..........:scooter:

Rear Fender

I picked up a fender at windber for $3.00 And polished it up the best I could, it was covered in rust but not peeling, so I'm proud of how it turned out. Here is a couple of photos of it mounted up just for mock up purpose's. I think I'll come right off of the shock mount with a bracket in the rear and I had previously welded a small tab to the swing arm which sees to have worked out great! Or maybe I'll go from the top slotted holes in the swing arm, I guess I'll do which ever looks better.
Randy:scooter:

A little progress!

Ok, this started as a few repairs that I wanted to make to my Daughter’s bike to go to Windber in June of ‘09.. Well it turned into a complete chop job and here I am 6 months later. We have other riders so she’s been complacent but when I started on two other projects she sorta spoke up, so I’m finishing this one first.
First I was not sure what engine I would use, I have a lighted HS40 and I almost built that for her but with the spike in Rupp engines I decided to rebuild and sell that “when I get around to it” So I have a HS50 from a snowblower that I put a Mikuni on and I was settled on using that. But then I came across a HS50 Minibike specific engine, so I went over it for her and I‘m using it. I had a NOS steel tank so I went ahead and put it on, it should serve her well.

This bike has the telescoping forks and I really like the sleekness of them and I wanted to carry that look to the rear. I went with a set of Scooterboys 12” modified Bonanza shocks. That’s probably the best investment I’ve made. If anyone is building a bike and wants something a little different there is no substitute for his workmanship, A+ http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-parts/20091-new-chrome-rear-shocks-bonanza.html

I got a 72T sprocket from a doner bike so I redrilled it for the Manco bolt centers. I was going to weld the old holes shut but I just RTV'D chrome button plugs in them as a time saver.

I get my tubing from a local airplane supply house so I went over there the other day and got my tubing to cut my spacers for the rear wheel, sprocket and brake drum. So once I re-mock everything up I can go ahead and cut the spacers.

Then I need to figure out the seat, well my Daughter needs to. She’s thinking white with purple piping, or white with some purple flake panels. But it wont be long and we’ll have it finished up for her.

Randy:scooter:

Are you running any type of chain tensioner to keep the chain tight when the suspension moves? I ended up putting a jackshaft back in my bonanza for that reason, Just curious. GREAT job on the bike and nice pictures as well, Your daughter will love it.

LK

Are you running any type of chain tensioner to keep the chain tight when the suspension moves? I ended up putting a jackshaft back in my bonanza for that reason, Just curious. GREAT job on the bike and nice pictures as well, Your daughter will love it.

LK
Yes, I havent decided what I'm going to use yet but it will have an ideler/tensioner. Thank you for the nice comment.
Today I cut my spacers for the wheel, sprocket and brake drum and started on the struts for the back of the fender. I also relized I never welded my kickstand on:doah:

A little more progress.

Here is my tensioner I made, it's just mocked up for now. And also I found a nice brake control/kill switch combo in the garage so I'll use that along with my old Moto-X throttel, they should look good on it:thumbsup: and I found a kickstand so I'll weld that on.
I need to get a bronze bushing/shim for each side of my tensioner lever. And I'm also going to stud that lower hole, then I can use a lock nut to preload the lever. I put blind nuts on the top of my bracket I made. That way I can build my cover right off of that, and fasten it to it. I'm going to pick up a lighter spring, I think... I had that available so I used it to mock it up but I don't think I need anything that heavy. And thats a roller skate wheel of course.

delray

randy i have use roller skate/board wheels too on some of my projects and they work real good. also i machine out a grove in the center of the roller wheel to keep it from walking around:thumbsup:

Hi Delray!
The spring shown in your photo, does that seem to work good as far as tension? I'm going to turn a groove in my wheel but I'm going to mock it up on the bike first. My chain will ride a little inside of center on the wheel. I thought I should have it all together and spin it to see if the chain walks at all on the face of the wheel. It shouldn’t but I want to make sure I don’t want to end up with the chain riding on the side of the groove and trying to pull the wheel L. or R.

Side Note:
Did you see the crash test GM just did with a '59 Full Size and a '09 Malibu? If not, try to find it. I seen it on the news. I was in utter disbelief that they totaled a '59. It looked like they pulled it out of a museum for the test.
The Malibu ended up needing a L. 3/4 front and the '59 was destroyed. It drove the steering column through the front seat and the tail shaft was sticking out the R.S under the door. Dad was saying he hade many of the X frame GM's in the salvage yard that where broke in two.

delray

works great,spring is very stiff and keeps the right amount of tension when the rear swing arm moves up and down.
yes i have seen that video and the more i see it i think it is misleading. couple things that i see when the impact happens is alot of rust or i should say alot of rust dust in the air? that would tell me the car could of been a rust bucket under that paint job GM gave it before the test? and that they could of soften couple spots under the car to make it look bad?
another thing they could of tried was to have a side inpact with the 59 going into the new 09 drivers door:doah:
something fishy about that video:eek:ut: