Recovered Taco II

Capt

Recovered Taco 22

We found this Taco out in the desert where people used to dump stuff many years ago. The bike was in rough looking shape when my kids drug it home as it had sat out in the elements for probably 20-30 years, as I have lived on the property for 16 and had never noticed it. I decided to take a close look at it this winter and found it was actually pretty sound and mostly complete (missing clutch cover) with the worst damage a cracked frame just behind the engine mount plate.
After a lot of cleaning and soaking the engine/carb with PB blaster we actually were able to start it up and it ran!! this motivated us to restore the frame. My kids main job was the sanding and cleaning of the frame and I worked on cleaning up the original 3HP Briggs and chain/clutch. I repacked the bearings, welded the frame up and used a couple of coats of rattle can on it. Built it back up and we where rolling, even leaving a trail of smoke and oil behind!

Last edited:
Welcome!:thumbsup: Awesome job bringing one out of despair and making a whole new life for it. Nothing better than sharing that experience with a kid, mine work with me sometimes but are always up for a ride weather permitting.

Neck

Growing up is optional
That's pretty amazing! Makes you wonder the story behind it's history, which will probably never be told. Welcome and congrats on a really great find.

Capt

The old Briggs would run but not idle well. It also leaks oil around the shaft which would end up in the clutch.
I searched for a replacement and the HF 99cc Predator looked like a good fit until the Briggs can be rebuilt.
The Good> The 79$ Predator I picked up at HF was almost a perfect fit with just a slight mod to move the tank over to the other side of the tank mounts and it would center up real nice.
The black-on-red looked awesome too.
The Bad> That thing shook so bad at mid throttle I could not even keep it on the work table! I reluctantly mounted it in the frame knowing it would not help much and a quick run -up proved true. No good.
Easy just take it back for another one, wrong, it must have been the last one on the shelf and HF tells me they are now discontinued.

Anyway I found this new Honda GX160 on CL and the story was a small dent in tank so I head out with the boys. Sweet it is new, seems to have rolled out the back of a farmers truck on the way home from the store. Some tank damage and scuffs is all.

It was a tight fit. Had to move the tank over and re-size it some with a rubber mallet, a PITA.
The Honda starts on a half pull and idles thump-thump-thump smoooth!

Boys like it because it will do burn-outs in the gravel now:smile:

It will do as long as the kids ride it, then I will remove it and put the Briggs back on to keep it more OEM.

Capt

That's pretty amazing! Makes you wonder the story behind it's history, which will probably never be told. Welcome and congrats on a really great find.
Thanks, The brake shows a lot of use and motor which I assume was original is really worn.
Somebody enjoyed it for many years and rode it hard, good for them. And thanks to a dry desert enviroment it should be good for years to come.

Supplimental Braking

May I suggest a clutch cover with bracket that has provisions for a band clutch brake, the scrub pad is replaceable but with all that power may fall short when it counts especially if the tire is wet even slightly. A clutch brake is easy and there are good threads covering them both right and wrong so put in some time studying. Nothing worse that a broken hearted kid when the forks become wadded up what we call high speed forks. Worth looking into the brake is, the scrub can be applied if the chain breaks where the clutch brake will only stop the clutch. Also a scrub brake wears the tire badly with repeated use and tires are not cheap. Something to consider, also OldMiniBikes sells this kit with a lazer cut OldMiniBikes logo on it so good looks and good stops. Happy minibiking. I see more in your future, look for the Azusa build that may happen soon and join me and others starting with a classic looking U.S.A. built frame and fork. From there everything is freestyle, you and the kids can start with new parts and everyone can participate. Just a though, I have a few too many so they spill out here.:laugh: Awesome to see a family photo with an awesome Taco22!:thumbsup::scooter:

MiniBike Paul

Capt; whereever you are in Nevada, you are only a few hours from Camarillo, and we sure would like to see your Taco, you and the kids too, at Funday #3 - you would sure enjoy the minibike experience - 150 other minibikers, 250 - 300 minibikes! And the day before is MacFest in Norwalk - check them out in events!

Funday #3 - http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-events/64369-funday-3-sept-16th.html

MacFest - http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-events/64384-macfest-3-sept-15th.html

Hope we get to meet you!!

Welcome to OldMiniBikes Great find u got there. Kids look like they love it. Taco's are very nice desired mini's , Looks like u brought that one back pretty good. Did they really discontinue the predator engine :anon.sml:?

drheilman

SWEET TACO! Welcome to the site, its nice to see a fellow Nevadan mini biker.If You need any parts for Your Briggs shoot me a e-mail. :thumbsup: