Rokon trail breaker

zeeman

Rokons have always seemed to be high to me. I have wanted one since I first saw one in Popular Science or Mechanics way back in the early 70's. People seem to keep them, or want to get all their money back if they sell them.

I remember when they were about $800.00 and stayed there for a few years and then they jumped up about about triple and now they are about $5,000.00 with the 4 stroke engines. And they no longer have the kick start and the 3 speed tank mounted gear shift
I like the older ones with the Chrysler Marine engine. I heard that when Chrysler went bankrupt the government would not let them keep that division that was a money maker if the rest went into governments foreclosure protection.
My Rokon was a 1969 shop demo from a shop in Sunland, California and I paid $600.00 I sold it in 1988 for the same money.
Steve :scooter:

Rokons have always seemed to be high to me. I have wanted one since I first saw one in Popular Science or Mechanics way back in the early 70's. People seem to keep them, or want to get all their money back if they sell them.
I remember back in the 1970's when Gran Prix Moto cross was big in Calif, there was a guy with one leg who raced a Rokon.He could start it without having to kickstart, because it had a pull starter,

He was an Icon back in the day, he went by the name "Rokon Ron"...does anyone remember this guy?

My funny story about a Rokon was one play day at Saddle Back park I was riding one of my Tri-Sports and was climbing a hill that was throwing off a lot of riders time and time again. One rider riding a 400 Suzuki was frustrated by not making it over the top and I then told him that I had a 125cc bike that would make that hill in 1 st gear with me on it. So the bet was for $10.00. So I went back to my Van and rode the Rokon out to the hill side popped it into 1 st gear and walked the Rokon right to the top with both feet on the pegs. I did not take the $10.00 bet , the expression on his face was payment enough.
I never saw a one legged Rokon rider but that bike and a lot of good internal attitude would of made up any disadvantage his missing leg offered up.
That would be a race to watch. Like Rodger DeCoster who raced his bike without a seat.

This is one reason I love this site! These stories from days long gone are worth their weight in gold! This is our heritage, we should cherish it.:thumbsup:

When I was working at the Beverly Hilton Hotel one of the Chefs was bragging about his new Chevy Blazer and that weekends off road session.
So I told him that I had a 2 wheel drive that was stock that could climb the same hills. So he asked about the motor I said it was stock and he asked about the wheel size I told him 6:00 X 15 I led him on for awhile and then told him it was a motorcycle and brought him in a picture of it the next day.
I never saw a hill it couldn't climb but I saw plenty that I couldn't ride up or wouldn't ride up.