Rupp Rust Bucket Rat

I picked up this all original Rupp Scrambler a couple weeks ago. TONS of rust.:laugh: I just wanted to make a beater bike and not spend a bunch of money. First thing was to get the wheels straightened out. I hate when I can't push them around. All the bearings where locked up, bent rims and 2 flats with rotten tires. .:laugh: Forks are locked, rear shocks are rusted shut and engine is locked.

My friend Tim got the wheels pretty straight. They are 100% better than before. New tires from OldMiniBikes, and bearings. I wired wheeled the rims, wire brushed, and sanded. Very pitted but still functional.:laugh: I used lots of rustoleum primer and a little paint.

I will have to give you credit.......rust doesn't scare you a bit...........amazing what you can do with a bike......beater? I don't believe any thing you do with a bike qualifies as a beater......just sayin

Thanks Tippy and mlanzoni.
Got the handle bars cleaned up best I could. Thank you Andy (capguncowboy) for the rear shocks. Swapped some shock parts around and got a pair to work.:thumbsup: I did order some new shock bushings. If I could only get those front forks apart I would have a roller. I filled the fork tubes all the way to the top with PB blaster and they are still soaking.

Thanks Tippy and mlanzoni.
Got the handle bars cleaned up best I could. Thank you Andy (capguncowboy) for the rear shocks. Swapped some shock parts around and got a pair to work.:thumbsup: I did order some new shock bushings. If I could only get those front forks apart I would have a roller. I filled the fork tubes all the way to the top with PB blaster and they are still soaking.
Karen stop wasting your time. That's what the forks are saying that sit In My garage. :helpsmilie:

Finally started tinkering with the engine. My plan was to put a predator on it and GO since it was locked up. Took the really rusted shroud off and there was at least a 100 acorns in there.:laugh: I think a mouse nest also and chunks of rust.

Looks like a great project Karen .
Unfortunatly you and I are a lot alike and unable to leave stuff alone and "rat rod" it lol

It wil end up being a beatiful resto - mod with shiny custom paint , new tires , custom stiched seat and on and on

I for one will be watching the transformation

Well, some of those things you are correct.:laugh: I don't mind some rust but when it gets on your clothes, that's a bit too much.:laugh: There are many spots on the bike I need to put rustoleum to stop the rust process. :thumbsup:

A miracle has happened. While I was picking out acorns and rust chucks from the fly wheel, I "turned" the fly wheel and it was a little crunchy but "NOT" Locked up.:clap: EVEN BETTER NEWS, I can't believe it but I have spark.:clap: Amazing for as rusty as things are:thumbsup:

Can I fix this plastic clutch cover with fiberglass.:eek:ut: I was thinking that I could cut out the cracked/broken plastic, maybe clamp some flat steel on the bottom and lay some fiberglass. Then I would re-drill the holes. Will the glass stick:eek:ut:

Hey Karen , plastic in my opinion is one of the hardest materials to repair , most things will not stick to it
There are people that do plastic welding like atv fenders but it can be pricey

It looks like your damage is hidden on the bottom , so I would use some sheet metal and pop rivvits to build it back up

The strongest way is to use an inside layer and outside layer with the plastic between , use long enough rivits or bolts to go thru all three layers