Rupp Rust Bucket Rat

Finally started tinkering with the engine. My plan was to put a predator on it and GO since it was locked up. Took the really rusted shroud off and there was at least a 100 acorns in there.:laugh: I think a mouse nest also and chunks of rust.
Man that is alot of rust !!!! I've never seen It so bad...was it in a pond ? lol :laugh:

This will be a good one when done. I think you should rebuild the original engine and then toss the rusty tins back on. Then clearcoat everything to keep it from getting worse or rust on your clothes. A true rat looking bike but mechanically nice... Just don't get too involved in it. I may need some help with my T555 seat cushions and we can't have you too busy...lol

The guy told me the bike was left outside under a tarp for 40 years. I think the tarp rotted away after about 20 years .:laugh: I'm working on the mechanical part and just sprucing up some of the rust. When I get all done, I'm going to clear coat the bike in rustoleum clear.:laugh:
Heavy pitting on the chain guard but in excellent condition.:laugh:

On the clutch cover...if it burns with black sooty (sp?) smoke ...it should be a styeine base plastic and model glue will work to a point. All other plastics need to be repaired machinally zip tie ,rivet, screw...ect this is only my experience with plastic and may not be 100% correct........BTW looks like a good project and you work much faster than I do....

I just bought one of those carbs for my Rupp project and received it last night.
I'm at least a week away from firing it up but it looks very good. As if looks mean anything...

I had some great results with plastic repair using the purple primer and cement that you use for pvc pipe. I totally rebuilt some plastic tabs on a honda helix i redid last fall. May be worth a shot. The glue sort of melts the plastic a little and when it dries its very solid.

Thanks Pat. I think I have some of that stuff here.:thumbsup: Might be at my mountain house because I think that was the last time I used it. Need to check on that.

I got the decal off. SAVE!!!! That old shroud will be one of the rare parts I throw in the trash, I save everything.:laugh:

capguncowboy

Thanks Pat. I think I have some of that stuff here.:thumbsup: Might be at my mountain house because I think that was the last time I used it. Need to check on that.

I got the decal off. SAVE!!!! That old shroud will be one of the rare parts I throw in the trash, I save everything.:laugh:
is the shroud too far gone to save?

Any luck with the forks yet? Mine are locked to. I filled mine with vinegar which dissolves rust also. I got to try soaking them again. First time I tried loosening them I got a big pipe wrench on the forks and they still wouldn't budge. I know some people melt the plastic bushing out.

Nope, still haven't got the forks apart. They are filled to the top with PB blaster. I could have a roller if I could get them apart.:doah:

Pulled a shroud off a junker I had and found a recoil. Works great. If I had any nerve, I would leave the shroud just as it is for my rat bike, but I can't do it.:laugh: I didn't sand it real good so when the paint starts to peel it will be perfect. Pulled the head and doesn't look that bad, even got the muffler and manifold off. That PB blaster is amazing. The muffler is badly rusted. I plan to cut the end off and weld a new muffler part to the pipe because the pipe is pretty good.:thumbsup:

Did you try giving them a little bump in instead of out? Might be enough to get the PBBlaster where it needs to go.....
I was beating on them today. I keep hoping that when I go out in the garage that they would have popped.:laugh: When I took those fork bolts out, the springs seemed to spring to the top. Tomorrow will be the pipe wrench and then the BFH again.:laugh: