spray paint ?

Ok, so I am working on my Bonanza MX build and I am going yellow and black. I bought duplicolor engine enamel in yellow which I am currently applying to the front forks. I turned out beautiful except for the spot that I had the rope tied on from hanging it. So I had to touch it up and went back over it rather lightly in order to fill in the spot, well then I noticed that the paint that I sprayed on for touch up (from same can) was wrinkling up about 20 seconds after it was applied. I had this happen when I was painting the swingarm black as well. It would be beautiful on the first application, then I would go back over it, it wrinkled up and looked awful. Is this a timing thing? What am I doing wrong? Why does it seem to do that?

You usually need to re-coat within an hour or so. If not, you need to let it fully cure, then wet sand with fine grit #320 or so, then recoat. You may get it to work again now if you wet sand, but you may have to strip it and try again.

Thanks GTO, I appreciate the obvious. The thing is, I have never ever sanded when spray painting between coats. I have never stayed within the one hour respray time and had any issues either. For example, I initially sprayed last night. This morning when I woke up I reapplied some spots with absolutely no issues. For whatever reason, I did tonight and then I did, it was no different than what I had done between last night and this morning. Ah well, I'll just stick to what the can says from now on. It is still puzzling however as to why I have never had this issue before, what could have changed?

tomsprops

I gotta agree that sounds strange to me also ? I've used alot of Duplicolor products .Maybe there was some oil/dirt on the rope you tied to the frame ?

This isn't just a Duplicolor thing. The same rule applies to most enamels.It happens with acrylic and urethane car paints too. Sometimes you can recoat without a problem, but most times not. Moisture on surface, metal temperature changing,humidity will all play a role in what happens on the recoat. Better to have it happen on small parts, than on a car hood or other large item. The best bet is to follow the directions on the can.

1stlegendtx

I always set the timer for twenty five minutes (less if its hot) before applying the next coat. If I have to go and miss the timer I wait at least a full day.:thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

That problem is very common, it happens most often if the paint is only partially cured and you reapply another coat the solvents react to the first coat and will lift the paint (wrinkle)...I've had that happen several times over the years, I've had it happen to paint that was weeks even years old, it's a crap shoot whenever using rattle cans and recoating since they don't have add in activators to cure the paint, one time you'll have great results and the next time nothing but trouble..

george3

Painting is 50% prep. 50% spraying, and 100% of following directions. How much % of error anyway un known. shit happens. did a simular screw-up on a rim yesterday, talk about pissed. All that prep. and still messed up. that was re-coating in the proper time.