Stangrcr1's Open Class VT-7

Thanks for the kudos!

Not much progress. The ignition switch I ordered did not come with the retaining nut or washer, so they are sending another one.

I bolted on the rear fender brace and rear shocks, but they are floating as there is no seat there yet. Also noticed my shocks are 1" short, so new seat bracket in the works.

Ran new fuel line on the engine, now all that is left there is to figure out how to hook up the throttle.

Still need to sand down the left handlebar I dropped during painting, so it can be repainted. That will wait until I have the seat bracket made, since they will be the same color.

No pics. Sorry.

matt2

That is a sweet bike. You have done a beautiful job on your rebuild so far. I have to agree with whoever said it's to nice to ride. I'm the guy that has to ride it no matter how nice it is, hope you are too.

That is a sweet bike. You have done a beautiful job on your rebuild so far. I have to agree with whoever said it's to nice to ride. I'm the guy that has to ride it no matter how nice it is, hope you are too.
Thanks everyone! I am trying to make it nice.

But.... It will still be ridden. I do not believe in trailer queens. :hammer:

This one is not perfect. Not even in the same league. The camera thankfully does not show a lot of the little pits and blemishes. Much less, it is not even original with the 6hp Tec instead of the lighted 7hp, and the hydraulic rear brake. Still missing all the lights, battery box, starter....

This bike will be ridden and as I find the missing stuff, it will be added and I may redo it in a future Build-off! Be a lot easier with the big stuff already done... Maybe some motorcycle controls with MC turn signals and DOT tires...

My bikes are riders....

As a side note, Back when I was racing, I got a lot of trophies. I only kept 3 of them. I don't have much use for stuff that just sits on the shelf collecting dust.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I am trying to make it nice.

But.... It will still be ridden. I do not believe in trailer queens. :hammer:

This one is not perfect. Not even in the same league. The camera thankfully does not show a lot of the little pits and blemishes. Much less, it is not even original with the 6hp Tec instead of the lighted 7hp, and the hydraulic rear brake. Still missing all the lights, battery box, starter....

This bike will be ridden and as I find the missing stuff, it will be added and I may redo it in a future Build-off! Be a lot easier with the big stuff already done... Maybe some motorcycle controls with MC turn signals and DOT tires...

My bikes are riders....

As a side note, Back when I was racing, I got a lot of trophies. I only kept 3 of them. I don't have much use for stuff that just sits on the shelf collecting dust.
Oh Yes !!! Im gonna ride the Hell out of Mine too !!!! lol:scooter::scooter:

How to keep your steering stem bolt from backing out, without locktite. 5/8-11 setscrew ground down to about 4 threads left.

Got the key switch installed. Should have looked for some white wire....

The second wire is a ground wire directly from the switch to the motor.

And here is the ugly muffler I have for it for now. Til I find something better.

Still pondering how to hook up the throttle...

Still no throttle hooked up yet.

Waiting on Kenny for the seat.

And that is all that is keeping this bike from being done. :scooter:

Decided to try and start this one. First yank of the recoil and the spring broke. Yay. :hammer:

Fixed that and yanked it about 20 times before I realized the gas petcock was off. Opened it, and on the third pull she fired. Smooth low idle. Barely had to adjust the carb from the specs. Good revs, happy. Unlike the pain in the ass Trailblazer engine.

I am going to have to come up with a different muffler as the rear fender got quite warm.

Sorry, no vid. Phone battery dead.

Hey Don, you can use one of those exhaust cover plates that will allow you to direct the exhaust to the side of the bike.
I have one for Briggs that will fit, but don't want to put it on my TECUMSEH!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am going to make a new header with one of the hot dogs you sent me. :thumbsup:

Thanks Marc!

I am working on a throttle setup. Might raise some hairs, but it will work. Getting rid of the hard wire throttle setup.

Here is the throttle setup I came up with:

Anyone recognize the LQJ? I used the original holes in the shroud for mounting, so no big deal to remove it if I ever find the right setup. Rod from bellcrank to governor arm is an old coathanger wire. Upper spring is throttle cable return. Lower spring pulls on bellcrank to open throttle. This way the governor still has overall control.

Going to need a lot of touch up paint...

Looks more like I am taking it apart than putting it together...

TP is under the chain guard on the tiller shield. Took the rear tire out so I could take the sprocket off for modification. I think the rear tire is flat though. Grrr.

Speaking of modification:

I was going to put more holes in it, but figure this is enough.

This is in primer. And guess what color I don't have. White. Grrr. Might go silver/aluminum instead...

Last edited: