Taco 22 vintage or not? Can you tell by serial?

I scored a Taco 22 yesterday. Trying to find out if vintage. Has a serial on chain side lower frame tube. The best I could tell the serial is 8P2020 without scraping frame . Did they use letters in their serial numbers back then? It sure looks vintage. But now a days with repops people can make anything look old.
What do you guys think is that a vintage serial number?

If it is vintage it has to be later model. From what I read the seat straps bellow frame tubes are first models and straps above tubes are later models.
From that starting number in the serial I hope it's a 1968 vintage Taco 22.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Question? Did the 68 come with just a scrub brake? Mine has a wheel disc brake that is set within the wheel and sprocket. Was that a option at any point. It looks original.

Hounddog

Question? Did the 68 come with just a scrub brake? Mine has a wheel disc brake that is set within the wheel and sprocket. Was that a option at any point. It looks original.

Disk brake was never original...Where are all the pictures...let us enjoy your find too! :thumbsup: HD

Once the roller is cleaned it will soon be for sale. So will the 5hp Briggs. Local CL, then to the bay. Just also scored a awesome Wild Goose Ruttman (Keeping). I'm starting to get a little crazy with all these bikes. So I realized I can't keep them all. But people around my neck of the woods are getting spring fever and cleaning their garages. This is the time of year to be watching your local CL that is for sure.

Hounddog

View attachment 70916 Thanks for the pictures! We all like to see them. Nice looking old Taco for sure. It appears that you have an original Taco drum brake. However it appears to have the wrong brake anchor arm location for a Taco 22 application. Probably cane off of a Taco 44 or 99. You could fix that by cutting off the brake anchor arm and rewelding it in the proper location, then weld a little tab on the frame. Then you would have the rare Taco 22 DB (Dual Brake). You would have to install a footbrake into the existing mounts too. Here is a picture of an early Taco 22 DB.

george3

View attachment 70916 Thanks for the pictures! We all like to see them. Nice looking old Taco for sure. It appears that you have an original Taco drum brake. However it appears to have the wrong brake anchor arm location for a Taco 22 application. Probably cane off of a Taco 44 or 99. You could fix that by cutting off the brake anchor arm and rewelding it in the proper location, then weld a little tab on the frame. Then you would have the rare Taco 22 DB (Dual Brake). You would have to install a footbrake into the existing mounts too. Here is a picture of an early Taco 22 DB.
Can you post a pic of the whole bike and a down version pic of the Brake stay. I Had one before but dont remembering it looking like that.

6doggie3

Once the roller is cleaned it will soon be for sale. So will the 5hp Briggs. Local CL, then to the bay. Just also scored a awesome Wild Goose Ruttman (Keeping). I'm starting to get a little crazy with all these bikes. So I realized I can't keep them all. But people around my neck of the woods are getting spring fever and cleaning their garages. This is the time of year to be watching your local CL that is for sure.
What state do you live in? Because it is slim pickens in Sacramento! LOL

I really don't want to mess with brake. 1. I can't weld for shit. 2. the brakes work great! Whoever came up with rigging system did a great job. Work better then any band brake I had installed. Really! 3. I'm selling at some point. I would however be interested in putting on a scrub brake prior to selling. Does the new Taco sell these separately?

I would then advertise it as a DB but let new owner do the re-weld as whoever buys this roller would probable want to weld on foot pegs as well.

It's funny, this bike looks original paint. and there is no sign of pegs be grounded off. The lower tube is smooth as can be on both sides. I did clean up the bike yesterday and determined everything is solid as can be. No re-welds or dings. Bearing and brake perfect. Really nice actually.

Even if someone sanded ruff spots on pegs you could still tell if they would have been removed. And I cannot tell at all! Did they ever sell these without foot pegs? I do see plenty without. But just assumed the got in the way back in the day because of low profile and people removed.

I did notice Taco still sells scrub brakes. Are the they same as the originals? And without the foot pegs will I have problems with the lever going to high? I would think the foot peg stops the foot brake lever.
Can anyone tell me?

It's hard to tell from pic. I was able to find original thread with Mic Dim. However placement is in question. Are the pegs in line with the rear engine plate?

It's hard to tell from pic. I was able to find original thread with Mic Dim. However placement is in question. Are the pegs in line with the rear engine plate?
Sorry bout the pic. it looks better on my page. I welded mine just before the back edge of the engine plate . Check out the photos on this site in the Taco section for reference.