Tecumseh mounted, but chain acting screwy.

Here's the final outcome....
Derek was kind enough to send me some spacers for a decent price to remedy my problem without having to get a new one machined. Thanks a bunch man. Here's a video of the fixed sprocket issue and a picture of the bike with it's funky seat that Kenny sent me. Still gotta get some kind of brake on it and mount the fenders I bought from NT. At the moment, I can ride it around semi-safely without a brake since the engine is so mild compared to what I'm used to. That, and my big ass works as a weight brake. :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4EN0AP36Z4

Last edited:
You guys are sharp. I've already taken many of your suggestions. I hadn't notice the chain was getting tight and then loose. Hint there? I setup a pointer and yes it gonged right into the sprocket. Hint! So I loosed the sprocket from the wheel and pushed it around the basement a few times. Then I put the pointer on it again. Much better. I tighted the sprocket again and adjusted the chain. Seems like it might work, but it is cold and dark outside right now. Will find out what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for all your great suggestions.:thumbsup:

Okay, I'm doing this so I can find this thread later. I don't know how to 'save' it :shrug:, so this way I can find it later in my posts. If anyone can tell me how to bookmark threads for later, that would be great. Otherwise, please don't be mad about the way I did this. Yeah, obviously having chain problems, and some good ideas here!

Oldsalt

You guys are sharp. I've already taken many of your suggestions. I hadn't notice the chain was getting tight and then loose. Hint there? I setup a pointer and yes it gonged right into the sprocket. Hint! So I loosed the sprocket from the wheel and pushed it around the basement a few times. Then I put the pointer on it again. Much better. I tighted the sprocket again and adjusted the chain. Seems like it might work, but it is cold and dark outside right now. Will find out what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for all your great suggestions.:thumbsup:
I wish you good luck but It is not a for sure thing that the 'clamp pressure' of the bolts will be enough to keep the rear sprocket from, again, moving around resulting in the same non-concentric problem. There really should be a 'shoulder' of something to that effect so that the center hole in the sprocket is located properly no matter what. The bolts are there to keep the sprocket from falling off, not to locate the sprocket with the necessary precision.