Tote Gote

WLB

And the collection begins. I haven't even finished Mr Goat (my build-off project) and I picked up a Tote Goat today. It was a ride on this Tote Gote last December that inspired me to start building Mr Goat.

It came with the original Certificate of Origin, a chain for the rear tire, and a removable fixture that will hold a dead deer by the head to drag it out of the woods. The engine had been replaced with a Honda but the original came with it. The original sale was in Bridgeport, West Virginia, not far from where I was raised.

I may not get to ride it much. Surprisingly, my wife jumped right on it and rode all around the yard. She brought it back with a big grin on her face. I'm sure it will get a lot of use on our farms.

WLB

Buckeye, I don't know what the hp is on the original engine. It looks like a 5 or less to me. Nothing on the engine that says directly. Model number is 130202, Type 0772-01, and Code 6801237 The replacement engine is a 5 hp Honda vertical Overhead Cam.

It is definitely heavy duty. It handles very well but I may replace the square shouldered front tire. It washes out before I lean very much in a turn. I'd prefer that the old body not get smacked on the ground even if it only goes about 15 mph:smile::smile:

Yes, I guess I am now an official goat herder.

Hey WLB,

That is beautiful ! I can't get over how good the seats on that bike look !

It is always a good thing when things that interest you can bring a grin to your wife's face :thumbsup: .

I hope you all have fun riding it. Shucks, with that double seat, you all can ride around together !

WLB

Thanks everyone. Yes, I have about as good a wife as a man can have. In the 28 years we have been together (married 26) she has never fussed about anything I have ever bought or built.

WLB

For sure 1exsparky. It took me 44 years to find a good one. Went through a bunch of them before I found her. If I walked into the living room right now and told her I bought a minibike or race car on eBay she would likely say "when are we going to get it and where is it."

I might add that I have never fussed at her about anything she bought. Even when I have to build another closet.:smile::smile:

Looks like a very nice model 404 or 414. Would have had a 4hp briggs originally but a 5hp fits. The number of teeth on the small sprocket (final chain) determines which model.

WLB

george3, she has an unmarried step-sister that would go well with your avatar:smile::smile: Seriously.

Thanks for the information Richard. Would you know what colors ToteGote's came in? This one has obviously been repainted and I plan to do a total restoration. Will even rebuild the original engine if the crank bearing area isn't shot. The bore is no problem. I can sleeve it myself and would prefer a cast iron cylinder.

Nice bike WLB. The deer dragger is a cool attatchment. Do you think it's a factory accessory? For color Id search the nooks and crannies for original paint. I have a 600 that is yellow underneath all the layers.

WLB

Thanks Tim. I was told that the deer dragger attachment is factory. My son and I tested it today to see if the bike would likely pull such a load. It had no problem pulling me, my son (combined weight 380), and a big log across the yard. The problem was trying to keep the front end on the ground with the strap attached that high. With me pulling the log by myself it was a real struggle to keep the front wheel on the ground. The better way to haul a deer would probably be across the rear seat. Neat accessory but I don't think it would work going up a hill.

george3, she has an unmarried step-sister that would go well with your avatar:smile::smile: Seriously.

Thanks for the information Richard. Would you know what colors ToteGote's came in? This one has obviously been repainted and I plan to do a total restoration. Will even rebuild the original engine if the crank bearing area isn't shot. The bore is no problem. I can sleeve it myself and would prefer a cast iron cylinder.

Most of the tote gotes were either red or yellow. A few were green (mostly the forest service machines). Most of the motors had the pulsajet carb, like your motor. Some came with a flojet carb and remote tank. I bet the little straps in front of the seat have hole drilled in them. The briggs tank from a flojet motor should bolt right up.

WLB

Thanks Richard. Yes the front straps have holes in them. Four look like factory and four more look to have been drilled with a bit that wandered:smile: