Trail Horse GTO RestoMod...

The screws for the clutch retainers came in...I'll mail out those three ASAP.

I got 25 screws, so I'll make some more after I get some more billet stubs...

Still painting...and I f'n loathe it.

That closer top tube looks bent upwards in the pic, but it isn't....some kind of camera anomaly.

Last edited:
About four years ago, I bought a dozen broken pocketbikes for between $40-$45 each...

I wanted the wheelsets to make custom minibikes...

You've probably seen these types of wheels...cast alloy, 8" or 9" diameter with a street-type tire and a somewhat functional mechanical disc brake...

These wheels were designed to be used with 49cc engines, so they have bicycle chain pitch sprockets held on with three wimpy little screws roughly 1/4" dia...

An engine in the 5-6.5hp range has no trouble shearing off these screws if you get a little wild with them...

I've made some 35 pitch sprockets that mount with the three little screws and they're fine if they're not over-stressed...

But, I'm still going to make a few sprocket flange/drive hub assemblies that fit over the wheel hub and use it's triangular shape to drive the wheel...

A flange with multiple sprocket bolt patterns drilled through would allow mounting of any size/pitch sprocket...

The three little screws would only have to hold the drive hub onto the wheel and wouldn't be subject to any driving torque...

I'll post some pics after I make the piece...I'd like to put my Tecumseh HM100 Star engine into a smallish frame and smoke a few of those pocketbike tires.

...and I've started final assembly on the 'Bumble Bee'...

I haven't yet had a chance to mill the keyway in the jackshaft I made...other than that, the bike is done...

The polished aluminum sleeves/spacers will be installed after the keyway...a little grease on the jackshaft, and the sleeves/spacers will keep the shaft from corroding and keep the sprockets in place.

Wait a minute. Where is the "fancy - smancy - exhaust" you teased us with earlier? You playing games with us Willis? I cry SHENANIGANS! Everyone grab a broom! :biggrin:

Wait a minute. Where is the "fancy - smancy - exhaust" you teased us with earlier? You playing games with us Willis? I cry SHENANIGANS! Everyone grab a broom! :biggrin:
Of the five exhausts I made while building this bike, this is the one I thought 'fit' the bike best...

BTW, thanks for naming the bike...that fits nicely too.

I milled a keyway in the jackshaft I made earlier...

The shaft sits on machinist's parallels while in the vise to ensure the keyway is a uniform depth...

The keyway doesn't run the entire length of the shaft because both sprockets are on the same side, so I only needed about 4" of keyway...

I assembled everything and made matching countersunk retainers for the jackshaft and rear wheel...

I test rode the bike...it fired on the first pull and started on the third...everything worked great until I tried a panic stop and broke the cheapie plastic brake lever...

Off to the Honda dealer for an alloy lever and we'll be back in business...

I should have known better...plastic is rarely the best choice.

I mailed out those clutch retainers today...USPS priority mail...should arrive in 2-3 days.

Sorry for the delay...let me know how they work for you.
Hey Yellowhond I got my retainer today! Thanks again it looks sweet! I will go bolt it up right now and let ya know how it fits :thumbsup:

Yellowhand, that is some fantastic work. You are very creative and skilled with machine tools. I got stalled on my Powell project because when I was straighting the forks, the tube cracked. When I welded it, the tube changed shape and I had to make a swage to reform it. I finally thought of a way to fix the bad tube and got back to working with the bike. Great job on your project bike. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the pics.
borntoride

I'm changing two things on this bike...

Since the bike is much more resto rather than mod, I made a new exhaust using a Briggs muffler...

It looks closer to original than the other canister looked...and much quieter...

The other change will be locking collars welded onto the frame to secure the rear axle...

When that's done, I'll shoot some pics of the bike outside in the sunlight to close this thread and call the bike finished...

Primary drive chain is off so I can run the engine to break it in...