velocity stack for a briggs updraft carb

oldfatguy

What holds it on the carb? Great idea.
there is a U shaped piece of metal inside with a screw to hold it on. The pop rivets are what attaches the bracket to the inside . I was all out of 1/8" rivets they would have looked better then the big 3/16" ones.

The header is a section of aluminum electrical conduit that has regular pipe threads on it

oldfatguy

What do you imagine the horsepower gain to be?
I don't really know, there isn't all that much done to the engine. It is a 1987 ic engine so it has the steel bore and a ball bearing in the side cover. I smoothed up the ports, milled the head,cut the eyebrows and made a ramp down into the cylinder, took the ez spin lobe off the cam and put in heavier valve springs. If I were to guess I would say that it picked up at least one full horse power maybe more. I have another 3hp briggs on my Arco frame that has the same modifications and it pulls fairly good for a small engine even with me on it and I'm no light weight. Cutting the ez spin off so that the valves are closed all the way on the compression stroke really made a big difference in how it runs. It will idle down nice and smooth and it always starts right up with one or two pulls. I don't know if the stack really makes any difference performance wise but I do like the way it looks.

oldfatguy

I am still trying to wrap my head around how it attaches. Not to be daah but, can you shoot a pic?
there is a 1/2" wide strip of metal bent into a U shape and pop riveted to the sides of the tube. There is a hole in the center of the U and a 4" long 10-32 screw that threads into the bottom of the carb. If you look close at the picture you can see the end of the screw sticking out of the bottom of the carb. The filter is a piece of foam rubber weather striping rolled up and stuffed into the end of the tube. I'll post a picture later today

buckeye

Now I got it. Thank ofg. That is a great idea. Thanks for the extra explanation. I am kinda slow.
I would think you could do that with other carbs as well. Little drilling a clamp here hmmm....

thats it, tonite im buying a 40oz and going down to the basement and figure out something similiar to this for my B&S carb/tank. will be much shorter since i have a bird duck and there isnt much room for.....anything really. and thanks OFG for clearing up how you mounted the stack:thumbsup:

thats it, tonite im buying a 40oz and going down to the basement and figure out something similiar to this for my B&S carb/tank. :thumbsup:
.....maybe you can use the empty beer cans for the velocity stack.....:thumbsup:

it's a win/win situation......think "Mass Production" ......:drinkup::drinkup: :drinkup:

Last edited:

oldfatguy

here are a few pictures of the inside of the stack, the U bracket also supports the air filter so you need to set it to the height of the size foam you have. This stack fits the briggs carb on the tank too.

oldfatguy

a filter like this would fit better on a briggs if you don't have room for a stack.I uses the same foam weather strip but just glued together to make a circle. Then a short piece of plastic sink drain pipe as a spacer in the center. The spacer has 1/2 " holes drilled in it and the top and bottom are made on a lathe from 1/8" thick aluminum . If there is some interest I could make a few more.