Vintage Class: Havasu Dave's Cat Hustler

Dave Hustler is coming out great. I was wondering about the gas cap and forgot to mention to you whether it was supposed to be yellow (which I believe to be a base coat for plastic chroming). But I will agree any I have found were yellow. I painted my plastic coat chrome because I though it should of been chromed. Now we know. Possibly they never had them chromed and let them roll out of the factory that way --ask the engineer from CAT. P.S. My Hustler has the original paint and never appeared to have the rear Hustler decal -- but you never know! I like it with it-- and besides other models have the decal in place.

Dave Hustler is coming out great. I was wondering about the gas cap and forgot to mention to you whether it was supposed to be yellow (which I believe to be a base coat for plastic chroming). But I will agree any I have found were yellow. I painted my plastic coat chrome because I though it should of been chromed. Now we know. Possibly they never had them chromed and let them roll out of the factory that way --ask the engineer from CAT. P.S. My Hustler has the original paint and never appeared to have the rear Hustler decal -- but you never know! I like it with it-- and besides other models have the decal in place.
Thanks Brad. I have your decals ready to ship. Yes indeed the gas cap was supposed to be chrome. If you have another Cat gas cap somewhere, I would very much like to buy it off you. :thumbsup: I did note on your Hustler, the lack of a rear decal. It is a very bright red and looks good-lots of contrast however.

PS. Feel free to sell me your Hustler. I really like the design, and want to start my own hard core chopper mini gang and knock over candy stores and terrorize small seaside towns and stuff. :laugh:

We already have one of those. :devil2: :2guns:
:thumbsup: I know. But on the right coast, you're just terrorizing old folks in assisted living facilities. Here in the Wild West, we're looking to terrorize gang bangers and Jr High kids!

I want one of those Bonanza and Rupp choppers too, but I don't dare say I want it and add to the co$t!

Oh Contraire...... We're nationwide from FL to Chi-town to L.A. Heck, we even have a Jr High kid in our ranks! :laugh:

Oh yeah, you're still doing an xcellent job on my bike, BTW! :thumbsup:

Great build man. I love the seat work you did. I have a original seat (pictured) and you were SPOT ON!

I need to fix mine, will probably patch it up with some fiberglass resin.

Great build man. I love the seat work you did. I have a original seat (pictured) and you were SPOT ON!

I need to fix mine, will probably patch it up with some fiberglass resin.
Thanks for the comments and posting the photos. This is the first view of the seat back that I have seen. Do you have the rest of the bike?

I'm a bit shocked that I got it so close. I assumed the back was way different than what I ended up with.

I sure wish I had your seat sitting in my garage!

I hope my seat pad works, I had a hell of a time getting it done and still when done it wasn't to my standards. I'm hoping for the best.
Kenny, I'm just glad you took the project on. I'm anxious to get it and see how it looks. Even if it didn't come out looking original, as long as I can plant my ass on it, we're good to go. :thumbsup:

Edit: Kenny offered to build me a replacement seat for free if I didn't like the one he did for this. I am sure it's better than that, and according to Skyshadow, the original seats were too hard to even sit on. So I'm sure this seat will be good to go.

Last edited: