West Bend 820 Powered Scrambler Survivor (Un-Flexed Flexo Finally Finished)

I have a couple fully restored bikes and custom bikes…I like them all :smile:

But those that know me know I am partial to the “survivor” type bikes. There aren’t many Flexos around to begin with… seldom, if ever do you see one with its original Iridescent Blue paint. I decided early on I was gonna do whatever I had to do to save this one.
I look at survivor bikes as if they have a spirit to them…I think some of that spirit gets lost when they get sandblasted, powder coated …re-chromed…new seat. . Maybe it’s just me, my mind is wired differently than most….but I think there are a lot of members on here who understand.

I consulted Tracy Geiger (JTG) before I even got started…he’s one of, if not the resident OldMiniBikes expert on Flexos . I also studied the Flexo of George Holz….he still has his WB 610 powered Scrambler he bought new in 1968…good guy he helped me with a lot of the important small details. I looked at every Flexo ad and picture I could find...

Every nut, bolt ,and washer that was on the bike was kept original…even if it was ugly. I just wiped everything down with a kerosene soaked rag ….The brake and throttle cables were frayed in spots so I smoothed them down and wrapped them in electric tape. I soaked the rusty chain in naval jelly and massaged a fresh coat of oil into the links. Somebody tack-welded the key into the jackshaft gear…I figured they had a reason… so I left it.

No touch- ups, polishing or plating allowed on this one.

Original 5” Go-Power wheels, General tires :

Original Rear brake assembly and sprocket.:

One of the “big letter” AMAL grips was torn off,,,,Ebay is loaded with reproductions or different variations. It took me months to find a nice original that was a perfect match.

Next I sourced a killer untouched vintage WB820 with 40 years worth of beautiful patina on it. :drool: THis was the factory 10 H.P. version!!

I took the motor out of the box and bolted it in…didn’t even blow the dust off it!

West Bend script aluminum mount and stuffer plate :

The correct “ Rev-Grip” steel shoe clutch….

The recoil was missing , so Mark “Scooterboy” Franzen dug through his stash to find a perfect match early version with the correct rotation.

Gotta thank 8-Ball Kenny...the original seat was real nice except for a couple of splits in one side….he don’t like to repair seats, he likes to make nice new ones, but I bribed him into fixing it for me $$$$$ :deal: and it came out awesome!

Then I got lucky again…..member Drheilman had the original chrome tank he took off his Flexo :drool: (he built a custom tank instead) and he was kind enough to send it to me…NO CHARGE!! …many thanks to him :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I clocked the motor forward 15 degrees using the adjustable mount….this allowed for more clearance between the header and the jackshaft chain….plus I think it looks tougher because it fills up the whole frame. The downside is it leaves you with the intake and carb pointing downward. It would run fine that way…just didn’t look quite right.

Enter my pal DZLBKE Don who just happened to have a 15* intake manifold to fit this motor:

The two hardest pieces to locate were the Azusa Exhaust header:

and the West Bend Super Skinner air cleaner assembly:

….both factory correct options from Flexo. Took me almost 6 months but I finally tracked them down.

Last edited:
The bike had two old decals on it which I preserved…..had they been STP or Valvoline stickers or something like that I would have said some kid just stuck them on there…but since Chrysler owned Westbend at the time this bike was built I’m convinced now they have been on the bike since it was assembled…..anyway I really like the “mix ratio” sticker and how it specifies "good grade gas" and "regular SAE30 motor oil"…

The “Six-Shooter” muffler cap and the Anderson foot pegs were also Flexo catalog options….I haven’t convinced myself yet whether I want them on or not. Using the cap requires drilling a couple holes in the sides of the header for the “J” hooks which hold it on.

The Flexo’s were a no-frills machine…but the components and accessories that were used are of the highest quality…”motorcycle grade”.. The Anderson fold-up foot pegs are no exception they are very well made.

Last edited:
Well I got carried away with the pics, but I have really fallen in love with this bike…might be my favorite.. To me these are like the A.C. Cobra of mini bikes…bare bones, raw horsepower…under–appreciated in their time but highly sought after today.

I hope I didn’t forget to thank anyone…I really could not have brought it back to this condition without all the help.

My son Eric doesn’t come on here…but he was with me every step of the way and it’s fun working with him because even at his age he “gets it” and knows what it means to preserve a bike like this.

I hope we got it right…:thumbsup:

Last edited:
You did a great job on that & thanks for sharing. I too agree if you can keep it original all the better. I have a Flexo I need to get running that I may keep in its patina stage some what too. Mine has a WB-580 on it. I too believe that Flexo's are one of the best looking of all the mini bikes. Share with us a video of it running and driving when the weather breaks.

You have a beautiful bike there. It all looks correct to me. Thanks for the e-mail alerting me to this. My West Bend 610 has the same Chrysler metal serial number plate.

George Holz

buckeye

Stunning and done right.
Love your builds and especially your appreciation for nastalgic preservation. You da man Gerry. Good thing Eric was there to keep you straight.:thumbsup:

Thank you for the great write up and pics of your awsome project!.........I too can appreciate the survivor bikes!!!!........Very nicely done!........:thumbsup:..........Tom.