What was your first mini bike?

My mom picked me up a Kawasaki Coyote MB-1A back in 1990 when I was a young kid for $50 at a flee market. It was all original and in great shape except that the front fender was missing.

We have some great home videos of me and my siblings and father taking turns doing timed laps while camping in the Boise National Forest. Ah, the memories.

We sold it years later for $50. I have tried to track it down, but the trail went cold. I want it back SOOO bad!

That bike changed my life.

jrzmac

I inherited a Fox Thunderbolt from my Uncle when he got too old for it. he got it in the early 70's. He gave it to me in the early 80's. then I trashed it.....dumb ass I am!

72 arctic cat climber i got in about 1985 or so & i was about 10 or 11 & i drove the wheels off & when it broke & i was 14yrs old i got my moped so i could ride to town... my bro in law bought it from me & still has it so at least i got 1st dibs if he ever sells it also i just found a good deal on 1 just like my old 1

KB2ROCKET

For me it was a Rupp Sprint back in 1976 I put a Tecumseh 5hp on it and thought I was evil kenevil :)
right now I am building a sprint that makes my first one seem like junk however my first bike had the original chain guard very hard to find now

Last edited:
my first and only mini is my bird duck, bought it in the summer of '08. and about 1 week after i got the bird, i found this site:thumbsup:

jrzmac

Buckeye

@ buckeye, this bike looks a lot like the bike I had.
Couple things though. I'm pretty sure the engine was slanted. It looks like the plate was cut and modified. The handlebars didn't have that cross piece, like a bmx bike. We also didn't have any headlight or tailight. Maybe this was the deluxe model? I think the gas cap is different to. It had a clear top with a black ring that had a cork inside to tell you the gas level. But the rest is pretty much the same. Beautiful bike though.....Good luck restoring it. I hear the parts are tough to come by. I wish I still had mine!!!!

buckeye

That is mine. Or looks just like it. My engine plate is flat, mine has headlight and tail light, no cross bar on handlebars, has torqu converter and jackshaft. 5hp tec. Seriously that thunderbolt in the photo is what I have. Thanks for your responce. I will get pics of restore soon. Thanks.

jrzmac

yeah maybe that was the deluxe model. you can see by this pic there was no headlight. and I'm pretty sure the engine was slanted. maybe a newer year???

Ratbike

Bonanza 1300,bought it with a go kart 2 1/2 years ago and been hooked ever since. Put a Robin motor on it, built a wheelie bar for it, and away we went...:scooter:

Here's an old photo of mine I scanned a while back... original pic taken June 1970 I believe.

I had broken a rod in my 3 HP Tecumseh, so I took the 580 West Bend off our kart and tried it on the mini-bike.
It hauled ass, but I couldn't keep the clutch in position 'cause the threaded end of the crankshaft was missing. It was
fun for a while, but proved to be too much trouble and I went back to Tecumseh power eventually.

and below, here's another one of my current attempts to recapture some of my youth:

This is actually a Fox Sprint (no front suspension like the Fox Doodlebug) but pretty similar otherwise.
Currently has a 3HP Briggs with a Comet two speed jack shaft... note the bad ass Scooter Boy rear sprocket set up.
need a few details finished up and she's ready to rock.

love these old (used to have) threads.

mardyn

Last edited:

This is actually a Fox Sprint (no front suspension like the Fox Doodlebug) but pretty similar otherwise.
Currently has a 3HP Briggs with a Comet two speed jack shaft... note the bad ass Scooter Boy rear sprocket set up.
need a few details finished up and she's ready to rock.

love these old (used to have) threads.

mardyn
Gotta love them KB Wheels :thumbsup::thumbsup: And thanks for the compliment:smile: