will this carb fit the old tanks? (5hp)

markus

Gotta Briggs coming that was built up, its an 80's engine. anyone know if this carb style will still fit the old flat tank bolt pattern and tube holes? I want to use my older shrouding with Aluminum recoil and flat tank for a more period correct appearance.

CarPlayLB

I just tried a Raptor carb on an old flat top tank. Carb mount holes do not line up, although the carb will sit down on the tank. I think it is only 1 mount hole that is absent on the tank. I believe it to be the hole near the choke end nearest the cap... But if anyone can make it work, it is you!

markus

Thats a bummer! Thanks for checking it out, maybe I'll hold off doing any work to this flat tank till the engine arrives next week.

thank you

CarPlayLB

Drill and tap a new hole in the tank or drill a new hole in the carb. The newer tanks are drilled for both carbs.
Markus,
Have you explored this further? Tim has a good point about the newer tanks being drilled for both type carbs. Maybe there is enough material to make this work by drilling and tapping another hole.

markus

Markus,
Have you explored this further? Tim has a good point about the newer tanks being drilled for both type carbs. Maybe there is enough material to make this work by drilling and tapping another hole.
Not yet, Now that its here and I hold the tank up to one of the older engines I see the difference in the screw placement though. The other predicament I have is this carb is modded/bored out (or maybe thats how a "raptor" carb is). the bar across the inlet that holds the air cleaner screw is cut out of it and I need that for my custom velocity stack :doah: There is enough lip on there though to pin a bar across to either mount a stud to, just dont know if its worth all that, maybe just easier to mount and old carb and tank on.

125ccCrazy

if the vent hole for the valve cover tube is factory plugged it's a raptor carb, they don't have the cross bar..you can drill and tap the bottom of the carb for an air cleaner stud like the butterfly choke style carbs came.. I drilled the needed hole in a Raptor carb to fit the top fill tank...

markus

if the vent hole for the valve cover tube is factory plugged it's a raptor carb, they don't have the cross bar..you can drill and tap the bottom of the carb for an air cleaner stud like the butterfly choke style carbs came.. I drilled the needed hole in a Raptor carb to fit the top fill tank...
That vent does not look plugged, but I see that hole there on the bottom :thumbsup: Havent pulled the carb off the tank yet, will it go throgh the tank or is there enough meat on just the carb to drill and tap for a stud? That would make life really easy and make for less obstruction in there too!

125ccCrazy

If there is a hole on the right side of the throat it was a butterfly choke carb, same carb they based the Raptor carb off of except they deleted the choke and breather vent on the raptors, well at least they did on the later gen raptors... If you look at the bottom of the carb the area where the hole is it should be thicker for the bolt to thread into.. It will not go into the tank.. It looks like hone marks on the throat? if so pull the jet out and make sure the carb was not modified for alcohol, if it was your going to have to use alky or find a different carb..

markus

If there is a hole on the right side of the throat it was a butterfly choke carb, same carb they based the Raptor carb off of except they deleted the choke and breather vent on the raptors, well at least they did on the later gen raptors... If you look at the bottom of the carb the area where the hole is it should be thicker for the bolt to thread into.. It will not go into the tank.. It looks like hone marks on the throat? if so pull the jet out and make sure the carb was not modified for alcohol, if it was your going to have to use alky or find a different carb..
thanks, I havent pulled the jet yet, I did ask the seller what fuel it was setup for he said he set it up to run on gas, he said he was running cam2 and never ran alky in anything so we will see. Thank you