wondering about a brigs animal vs upgrading

dirt

hi i was wondering about a brigs animal vs a clone with all the new parts. what would be the good points and the bad points of a animal? i see some for under $500.00 new. im not stepping on toes just a friendly topic to discuss.

Motra

I've wondered the same thing. It seems like if someone just wanted to get a good engine and ride, an animal would be a good way to go. I think people like the idea of "building" their own engine and it's easier to spend a hundred dollars here and there than it is to spend 5 benjamins all at once. Plus if you're going for big power, you still need to get billet parts and other expensive stuff for the animal too.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The Animal is bigger, and stronger than a clone all day long. The Clone has the price on it's side though. For someone wanting a stock mild race motor the Animal is the way to go, you can ride them for ever, and they come stock making about 9hp.

The Animal still needs mods if you want more than 11hp from it.

While the Clone can be built up for $500 to make more power than a Animal.

If your going all out for max power the Animal comes with a forgue crank, stronger alloy block, taller deck, and more crankcase space that allows you to go bigger.

dirt

you can ride them for ever, and they come stock making about 9hp.??
you dont have to rebuild after a couple house. hmmmmm:deal:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
you can ride them for ever, and they come stock making about 9hp.??
you dont have to rebuild after a couple house. hmmmmm:deal:
I don't understand you?

Yes they come making 9hp stock on pump gas. And they will run like a generator making that power.

dirt

i want a engine that i can run hard and fast , but dependable and not have to worry about rebuilding after 2 hours of run time.

I had the thought of putting a animal in one of my bikes but in my case I already have 2 clones so I might as well stick with em and have common parts.
And really you can't beat the clones on price + the warranty from Harbor Freight. Clone + TAV + header + intake + jet = lots of power for trails and fun riding and you only end up a little north of $300 if you look for deals.

i want a engine that i can run hard and fast , but dependable and not have to worry about rebuilding after 2 hours of run time.
Knock on wood but my well maintained clones have alot of hard hours on 'em and are still going strong. One is the motor that came on a used bike that I personally have put in the neighborhood of 40hrs on it. Was nothing to be riding for 2 hours at a time last year. And we rarely putt around, usually as fast as it takes to beat the other(she's very competitive, me too). Only times I've had to walk it was due to a clutch and then a torque converter failure.

125ccCrazy

Not sure why you think after 2 hours an engine needs rebuilt unless your running it hard with low oil on dusty trails with no airfilter :shrug:

The animal, WF and Intek I/C all interchange parts if you want to build a custom engine..

Motra

Kart racers are moddifying them and running to the max all the time. With good maintenance a stock Animal could probably last years in a trail ridden minibike.