1.2 rockers with a milled head and stock cam

i need to install my 1.2 rockers and see if they cause any coil bind. i've heard conflicting opinions on whether they'll work with the cam and springs i have.

i need to install my 1.2 rockers and see if they cause any coil bind. i've heard conflicting opinions on whether they'll work with the cam and springs i have.
yea i'm still have the original push rods and was wondering if the length caused anyone to deadline this in favor of replacing the valve train.

Last edited:
Coil Bind: PLAIN LUCY!

When the springs compress the coils touch each other?

That is why MDB deepens the springs in the head, drilling away material, with a custom tool nobody seems to have???

TT. What was the question? :wink:

They will only bind with a large cam. A stock cam with the 1.2 Rockers or a small agk cam, will not cause them to bind:thumbsup:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Coil Bind: PLAIN LUCY!

When the springs compress the coils touch each other?

That is why MDB deepens the springs in the head, drilling away material, with a custom tool nobody seems to have???

TT. What was the question? :wink:
Very true, no one else has it. But no one else runs over .400" lift at the valve either. So I really needed to make the tool. What NR-Racing has done is run a slightly longer valve, but that only will get you so far. But even that is good for the .360" lift area, but if the valves are stock leangth he puts a warning out there before you purchase.

I think it'll vary from setup to setup. Just switched from stock to the 1.2 using the 18# springs and lightly milled head. Before firing it up checked for coil bind and it looked snug maybe .0065 in that area between the springs. Mid range feels pretty good but definitely does not feel like it has the same top end as with the stock rockers. It's just not hitting the higher RPMs.

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I think it'll vary from setup to setup. Just switched from stock to the 1.2 using the 18# springs and lightly milled head. Before firing it up checked for coil bind and it looked snug maybe .006 in that area between the springs. Mid range feels pretty good but definitely does not feel like it has the same top end as with the stock rockers. It's just not hitting the higher RPMs.
There is always problems with guys newly getting into modifying a motor. To me it seems so simple to mod a motor. But to a new person just getting into it tries to do the same, but always seem to do something a little off that causes problems.

My buddy just sold a gas tillotson carb to a guy. He was just racing with this carb 1.5 months ago with no problems, the carb is blueprinted from E.C. distributing. The new guy that has the carb is complaining that he can get it tuned. He doesn't want to listen to reason, and doesn't have experience with one of these carbs. So it may not even be out of tune as far as I know. But sometimes you just have give up on some people. I told my buddy to offer the guy his money back. Get the carb back bolt it on, tune it, race it , all on video to prove the guy wrong.

To mock up one setup and have it dialed on one ride then transfer that same setting over and have the exact output on another seems far reaching. Not that it couldn't be done but evidently hondas and clones may not have exacting tolerances. Not that it's right or wrong, on or off, but whether or not it works out.

Last edited:
Well got on the phone with a professional and they have run this setup with success before. Having the safety concern and original question addressed despite a few road bumps along the way the engines performance should be alright.

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Well got on the phone with a professional and they have run this setup with success before. Having the safety concern and original question addressed despite a few road bumps along the way the engines performance should be alright.
Well I hope everything goes well
Remember once you get your motor turning up high in the RPM band your gonna need a race clutch, or at least something with some stall.