1968 Rupp TT500 Rust Bucket

I picked up the rustiest minibike I have ever seen. It is a 1968 Rupp TT500. It is pitted pretty badly but no rot. I am not going to do a restore. More like a "puttin lipstick on a pig" type of thing. I took it to my buddies house to have him sand blast off as much as possible. I couldn't believe how easily it came apart. The bolts all came out without a problem except for one of the handle bar clamps. I soaked one rim in Evaporust for about a week. I need to get a new 12t gear for the jackshaft. I need one that has a hole all the way through so it can be pinned like the original. Other than that it is going to be just a slow project to do in between my other projects.

If it fits..... definitely... I need to find a 12t sprocket 35 chain 3/4" ID that has a hole all the way through to pin it instead of set screws. A couple of new bearings and the jackshaft will clean up. I still cant believe how easy everything came apart. Even the forks...

O.K. I have never had one of these jackshaft set ups. It looks like a clutch goes from the engine to a sprocket on the jackshaft which spins until the secondary clutch/sprocket on the jackshaft starts to spin the rear wheel. I dont understand what exactly this does other than gets the rpm higher so there is maybe more torque on the take off? Someone please explain why this is so desirable or if I should cram in a 6.5 with just 2 different size sprockets on the jackshaft for more low end to haul my fat ass around better at Windber.:scooter:

I have been soaking it and it is looking better. I will get some pics when it is done cooking..The springs in it are working and it seems to move fine.